Ottos and Discus

1. H

Hyde New Member Member

Can Ottos and discus be in a tank together? No gravel, but with some driftwood and plants on it. I know that the kory cats can, but will the ottos suck the side of discus

2. dvc_r

dvc_r Well Known Member Member

I can only speak from my experience. I had 8 ottos in my 75 gal tank. I also have 7 Discus, two dozen Rummynose, two German BLue Rams, 8 cory cats and two Albino Plecos. I caught one Otto sucking on the side of one of my Discus about 6 months ago so I put him in another tank. Two weeks ago I saw another doing the same thing but not as "relentless" as the other. The Discus just shook it away and I haven't seen it happen since. I still watch very closely because I have two pairs in the tank now and they keep laying eggs and I'm afraid the ottos will be back if the Discus start to produce their "slime coat" for the fry. But it hasn't happened YET.

3. OP
    OP
    H

Hyde New Member Member

Thanks for your input, I was worry about one fish with only having the drift wood and sides of the tank to eat. having to water change 2 a week will there be enough food for the oto or will it just go after the discus

4. Slug

Slug Well Known Member Member

Its possible. Just monitor it and check your discus for marks every now and then.

5. OP
    OP
    H

Hyde New Member Member

Well it took some time, but I was finally able to talk my wife in for another tank in the house. So all my old fish goes to the new tank aaaaand I get my Discus tank. All good, So my tank will only have Discus inside. This will give a chance to see if I can keep them alive and heathy. Love this website, so much info here and help

6. Slug

Awesome! ALways good to get new discus tanks ;)

7. dvc_r

dvc_r Well Known Member Member

:;toast

You know you get stars on this forum for that! I think they're called achievement stars!:;laughing

8. whisper

whisper Well Known Member Member

I hear this all the time but in all my years of having fish I have never had it happen with oto's or plecos or any other type of sucker. I have large pleco's in my outdoor pond in the summer with my Koi and fancy goldfish also. My thoughts on this subject are that a sucker fish will not suck on another fish unless it is hungery and not getting enough to eat. You might try feeding your sucker fish some veggie waffers and veggie flakes. That may cut down on the problem.

9. Slug

Whisper, I suspect (and this is just my thoughts) is that it will only happen to fish that have been known to feed their young from slime coats on their body. Maybe its a certain something that is contained in those fishes slime coats that isn't in others but it seems to only happen in those situations. And many times it will happen at night when the bottom feeders venture out and the other fish stay dormant near the bottom.