Ottocinclus Just Dying Like Flies =<

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by LuniqueKero, Apr 12, 2018.

1. LuniqueKero

LuniqueKero Valued Member Member

I've got maybe 8-ish left out of 15, I've been finding one dead every 3-4 days, they seem to be intact and just end up dead.

My Nitrates are at 10ppm and I do waterchanges everyweek, none of my other fish seem to be in bad shapes.

I heard that ottos were very hit or miss when ti comes to survivability :I any suggestion?

2. DaleM

DaleM Well Known Member Member

Need to ask a few more questions:

How big is your tank?
    What other fish do you have? (Species and number)
    What is the water temp?
    What are your water parameters? Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate (you've already mentioned), pH, etc.
    How much of a water change do you do per week?
    Do the fish show any symptoms?
    How long have you had the tank running?

3. Seth15

Seth15 Valued Member Member

If all your water parameters are where they should be, you properly acclimated them, and there are no tank mates stressing them, it may be a bad shipment.

Otocinclus are a wild caught species and are known to come in to the hobby with internal parasites. In addition to this they are a sensitive species, any fluctuation in water can easily harm them.

4. OP
    OP
    LuniqueKero

55Gal, I have rainbow Boesemani(6), 2 Pleco, Some Danio(10ish), Some CLoud Mountains(10ish), Ottos(8), Bamboo Shrimps(6), siamese algae eater (4)

Water temp is kept at around 78F, Parametters are 0,0,10, I do either 10 or 20% a week depending on how much debris I have to clean up with the siphon. And like a month and a half ago, one of the ottos had a white patch on their body that looked fungi-like in apparearance.

Most of the ones that have been dying though just seem perfectly healthy, except for the fact that they're dead of course.

The tank has been running since september now and none of the other fish ever die, only the ottos, I bought a new batch of 6 about 2 months ago, I wonder if it was a bad one and theyre the one just dying now.

5. OP
    OP
    LuniqueKero

Once again, notice an ottocinclus that was swimming eratically, so had the chance to observe him very early on before he died. He had *nothing* that would indicate he was sick at all. I also lost a Corydoras Pafeatus and none of the other fish show symptoms of any sort.

If it help, each day I give 1 Cap of Seachem Potassium, 1/2 cap of seachem iron, 2 squirt of tropica liquid fertilizer, 1 squirt of tropica specialized nutrition, I did my last water change this saturday, about 20 percent ish, yes I did use prime to remove the chlorine.

Symptoms seem to appear out of nowhere, fish swimming weaker and weaker until they're too weak to swim and they die. Sometime I can notice a white patch on their skin, but they may have just started to decompose, most of the time they look perfectly healthy.

Right now my best guess is that an Otto had a disease or a parasite that spread to the others since they hang together. Other than that I have no clue what's going on.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice