Otto with Betta in large tank?

MsKEC

Hi I’m wondering if it’s safe to have Ottos in a 29 gallon with a betta?

PeterFishKeepin

Well Otis mainly eat biofilm, decomposing matter and algaes so the tank would need to be well established, the betta should be ok as long as there is enough plants for the two fish species to feel safe.

You need a backup plan for the ottos or the betta if aggression issues arise. Also tops like to be in group of 6+

Best of luck:)

Upvote 0

MsKEC

Thank you. It is established with plenty of food for them.

I went to LFS in search of a snail for my betta tank that isn’t a nerite. I thought a MTS would be good but the store does not sell them and hade a negative view of them as “invasive”. The worker suggested Otto but they only had two left. I’m testing them with my boy this weekend and if I see him being a jerk I’ll take them back to LFS.

I did some more reading on snails though so if the Otto don’t work out I’m thinking one trapdoor snail. They reproduce at a much slower pace than MTS.

Upvote 0

PeterFishKeepin

I wouldn't risk it will 2 Otos,

It's better to buy and add the oto first then betta so they can settle in first.

Upvote 0

MsKEC

I wouldn't risk it will 2 Otos,

It's better to buy and add the oto first then betta so they can settle in first.
Thank you. My instincts were telling me that would be the case, but LFS told me otherwise. They mean well, but I’ll make sure to check with y’all next time BEFORE I get tank mates. I’m going to bring these two Otto back on Tuesday when they open after the holiday. Is there anything that I can do to make them more comfortable for now??

Also how do you feel about a trapdoor snail with a betta? Thanks!

Ooh I could put in a diy divider to make them more comfortable. Do you think they’d ok until Tuesday?

Upvote 0

bcfishtanks

Pretty much all snails are fine for bettas. I have kepts mysteries and nerites with my bettas. My current betta loves to impersonate his nerite and taught himself to bury himself in the botanical substrate like the snail does. I've never had issues with antenna nipping, though some bettas will do this to mysteries or other species with long antenna, I've heard

Upvote 0

MsKEC

Pretty much all snails are fine for bettas. I have kepts mysteries and nerites with my bettas. My current betta loves to impersonate his nerite and taught himself to bury himself in the botanical substrate like the snail does. I've never had issues with antenna nipping, though some bettas will do this to mysteries or other species with long antenna, I've heard
I tried mystery’s with this betta before. He did nip their antenna so I had to rehome them. I know that trapdoor snails have much smaller, and thus less tempting for a betta, antenna than mystery snails. Also I just find nerite snails to be well boring, and then never cleaned my plants.

Upvote 0

MsKEC

Hello folks. I wanted to update you on the ottos. They are headed back to LFS tomorrow morning. They have been munching on my algae and one has grown larger. Given how difficult it is to acclimate ottos (and I was able to be home to keep a close eye) I chose to wait until I thought they might be able to survive the trip. I’m thinking a trapdoor snail instead of ottos. Any thoughts?

Upvote 0

MsKEC

Hello y’all. The Ottos made it safely to LFS first thing this morning so that I could beat the heat. I snagged one trapdoor snail and one nerite. The trapdoor is already on the move. My daughter named the trapdoor “rocky” and the nerite is “dot”.

Attachments

• A1B765DA-F3B3-4380-AEFD-10B0300C531E.jpeg
    A1B765DA-F3B3-4380-AEFD-10B0300C531E.jpeg
    191.7 KB · Views: 1
  • 59D5D0E7-B50D-4EEB-9755-256CD719B991.jpeg
    59D5D0E7-B50D-4EEB-9755-256CD719B991.jpeg
    163.7 KB · Views: 1
Upvote 0

Random Great Thread!

New Aquarium Stocking Threads

Latest Aquarium Threads

Top Bottom