otto trying to suck on bolivian ram

1. redlessi Well Known Member Member

I've heard of the chinese algae eaters trying to suck the slime coat off of fish but do ottos do the same thing. I saw one of my ottos trying to suck on the bolivian ram in the tank.....

2. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

That's very unusual. Are you positive it's an oto? Is it getting enough protein?
    Carol

3. redlessi Well Known Member Member

Yes, well it looks like an otto and the lfs sold it as an otto. I usually have a piece of zucchini or cucumber in the tank, I also give algae wafers.

Maybe it was trying to get to the wafer before the ram and they bumped into each other but I will keep a close eye for the night.

4. DRock914 Member Member

You can try breaking the wafer in half and throw a piece on each side of the tank to try to avoid that conflict.

5. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Drop some shrimp pellets in once in a while to make sure it gets some protein also. When their small otos and Sae's can look similar and LFS will sell them as otos that's why I asked :)
    Carol

6. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Can you post a pic?

7. CHoffman Fishlore VIP Member

That what I was thinking..Even CAE can look like ottos when small if you didn't know any better.

8. Tony G. Fishlore VIP Member

I agree, CAE look alot like ottos when little, so if you could post a pic we could help. That characteristic is very common in CAE and not ottos...

9. redlessi Well Known Member Member

I have looked at the otto pics on the forum and mine look like ottos. I am working on posting a decent pic. I have not seen it happen again yet but I am keeping an eye out. Thanks much

10. redlessi Well Known Member Member

got a pic

Not that great but here is a pic

Attached Files:

11. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Hard to tell from the pic....it looks like an oto.

12. redlessi Well Known Member Member

here is another one, the otto is on the hut in the back of the ram
    btw can you tell if the ram is a female?

Attached Files:

13. Jake the Fish Member Member

That is definitely an otto. I had one a while ago and he looked exactly like yours. Sadly my otto got caught on a part of the heater in my tank.

I am not sure whether your ram is female but males have a more pointed dorsal fin and longer filaments of the tail fin.

14. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

With the title of this thread, you might not get alot of responses to this question.

15. redlessi Well Known Member Member

Thanks, I will post it with pics in another thread in the proper section. I just added it in since the pic also had the ram in it. I initially posted that pic to see if the otto can be identified.

16. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

17. Neji Member Member

Oh wow! I never knew otos like zucchini or cucumbers! I heard someone did that before but I was scared to put it in since the oto might not suck on it and then it would rot :(

18. redlessi Well Known Member Member

All of my fish especially like cucumbers and romaine lettuce. I usually wash it really good and for the cucumbers and zucchini I remove the seeds. Try it, they might ignore it the first time but keep trying until they realize its food. Just dont leave it in the tank too long. You could put it in the evening and remove it in the morning. Good Luck