Otto shortage!

1. PetLover418 Well Known Member Member

Hope I'm posting this in an okay place. I went to my local Pet Smart and they had no Ottos at least 2 weeks in a row! I called some other pets marts in the area and they all don't have them! It's shipping/stocking day and no ottos! Should I look into live aquaria or another species...?

My last shipment of ottos I bought was in march/April.

2. maggie thecat Well Known Member Member

What you have to ask yourself is how critical is this shortage? Must you add ottos for some reason like you have a singleton that is stressed, or do you just want some?

If it's the first, then by all means shop further afield, bearing in mind it will be several days before they get there.
    If it's the latter, then another week or two won't really hurt, will it?

3. PetLover418 Well Known Member Member

Yes, I have a very-well fed possibly female lone otto.

4. maggie thecat Well Known Member Member

If she's been alone since March then another week or two probably won't matter much. Given it's Friday and most places won't ship on the weekend, you're looking at probably Wednesday even if you buy online. The Petsmarts and most other LFS around me get their fish on Wednesday as well. So the only way you're really making a difference is if they don't get ottos as part of their shipment.

You could call and see if they know of a shipping issue. Sometimes (not always) the suppliers will give heads ups.

5. boxtop Member Member

My local Petsmart had them when I was in last weekend.

6. PetLover418 Well Known Member Member

Yay! I finally found some yesterday, but she only let me have 2 :(

7. boxtop Member Member

Why only two?

8. PetLover418 Well Known Member Member

I don't know. She said 3 ottos were enough for my tank. Should I get some more tomorrow?

9. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Yes!

10. PetLover418 Well Known Member Member

how many more?

11. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

How big is your tank?

12. PetLover418 Well Known Member Member

20g High

13. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

I think you'd be safe with 6 in your tank, possibly more. 6 is the minimum for them but the more the merrier!
    Anders247 will probably know exactly how many you can put in your tank, but that will depend on what else you plan to stock.

14. PetLover418 Well Known Member Member

Is my tank pretty stocked? I would like a few more fish, but I don't know if the tank bioload would be too much?

15. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

What do you have in there now?

16. PetLover418 Well Known Member Member

5 skirt tetras (glofish), 3 female bettas, and 1 (3 in a week) otto. Also, 1 moss ball and 2 elodea plants

17. Aichmalotizo Well Known Member Member

I can't see this lasting into the long term. Females bettas should be kept alone, or in a full sorority of 5+ bettas with no other fish. Atm your halfway Inbetween a sorority, and a community tank, and I can't see good things coming of this. You should either rehome the bettas, get them their own individual tanks, or get another 20 gallon, and build up a sorority in it.

18. maggie thecat Well Known Member Member

I'd suggest getting the bettas their own individual homes. Sororities are high maintenance endeavors, and require the owner to be able to make stock adjustments at a moment's notice. If you are just learning the ropes of fishkeeping they can be both frustrating and heart-wrenching.

19. Aichmalotizo Well Known Member Member

I probably should have mentioned this. With Maggie, I would cross out the sorority option from the list. Go with rehome, or get individual smaller tanks for them.

20. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member