Otto(s) in 15 gallon? I can't keep snails or shrimp alive

1. Daac Well Known Member Member

Ok... I owned ottos once before (three of them) and they died off probably due to imporper treatment since they were in a 5 gallon tank where they polished all the algae off in a week and then were stuck with just algae tabs and zucchini. Would I be able to put an otto or two in my 15 gallon tank as it is stocked now (see aquarium info it is updated)? I really liked them and my tank is very well established and well planted. It has plenty of diatomes and other algae on the plants and walls. Usually I would just stick with nerites or amanos but I can't keep nerites or any snails for that matter alive more than like a week and every time I do a very large water change or repeated water changes all my amanos die. Should I just stick with amanos and do only normal water changes or do you think I could do ottos? I know my lfs feeds their ottos zucchini and cucumber and they are used to accepting it so I could always feed that if I run out of algae and as a supplement and I could see if they eat algae tabs also. Any ideas?

2. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

Do you put excess food in the tank for them. I do that I have never had a probem.

3. Daac Well Known Member Member

I don't know what you mean... I don't have them now... they died a long time ago. I was just wondering if I could get 1 or 2 for my 15 gallon with the fish it has now. I know they are supposed to be in groups but would one be ok or no?

4. cm11599ps Well Known Member Member

Have you treated your tank with a copper based medication? Copper is lethal to inverts.

5. Daac Well Known Member Member

Nope never... I already had a thread back a while ago about the snails dying and nobody could figure it out... The shrimp live fine until I do a really big water change so they are nice but I think the ottos would be better anyway since they can get the glass too. So would one otto be ok or would I need more and would they even be ok in that that in the first place?

6. fbn Well Known Member Member

If you get otos, remember that they starve easily. Make sure you supplement their diet.

7. Daac Well Known Member Member

I know... as I mentioned above I used to and still will feed them zucchini, cucumber, and algae tabs along with the algae in the tank.

8. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

I think the otos will make you over stocked. Otos need to be in larger groups of 6-8

9. Daac Well Known Member Member

Ok thanks... I am hoping to convince my parents I need a 29 or 37 gallon so maybe I could get them after I get a bigger tank and it is established...

10. fbn Well Known Member Member