Otto or Pleco?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by TSgtSparky, Jul 25, 2015.

1. TSgtSparky

TSgtSparky New Member Member

I have a well filtered 55 gallon tank. It currently houses a large school of tiger barbs (15 babies) and 4 baby clown loaches (will upgrade tank when they get a bit bigger). I would like to add some kind of sucker fish. I don't know if I should get a Pleco or a school of ottos. If I get a Pleco what kind is best for this size tank? Or should I just get a school of 6 to 8 ottos. I know ottos tend to die off in a month, and if they live past the first month they are usually good to go. So is 6 to 8 enough? Thanks for any info.

Sent from my iPad using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. KarenLM

KarenLM Well Known Member Member

I have otos in my 55gal and I didn't have any die off. Most otos, at least here in Canada are tank raised and are not as sensitive as the wild caught ones used to be.

You do want to end up with a school of at least 6, so you may want to get 8 just to be on the safe side.

I don't have any experience with plecos. Otos will not increase your bioload like a pleco will.

3. OP
    OP
    TSgtSparky

that's why I was looking at ottos. Do you feed them algae wafers? And should I wait till algie builds up in the tank to add them? Or are the wafers enough to sustain them. I had one in a 10 gallon years ago. He was a busy little guy.

I also don't know enough about the different plecos to make a good choice.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2015
  4. KarenLM

A lot of them will not eat algae wafers. The recommendation is to allow the algae to build up in the tank before adding them which is exactly what I did. I haven't had to supplement their feeding at all and they are healthy and growing like crazy!

5. OP
    OP
    TSgtSparky

Cool! Thanks for the info. Any body out there have Pleco suggestions? Or are ottos better. I got time to discuss... Got to grow algae..lol

6. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

You might want to look into Siamese Algae Eaters. I have six of them and do an excellent job of eating algae in my 75g. They also grow up to 6" so they're more appropriate for bigger sized tanks. Otos only grow up to 2" so it's a concern about getting eaten if you plan on keeping bigger fish like angelfish.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

7. Sarcasm Included

Sarcasm Included Well Known Member Member

I have 4 dwarf bristlenose plecos in my 55 gallon and they happily munch all day long, much more active than ottos.

8. OP
    OP
    TSgtSparky

Are the siamese algae eater aggressive? I thought they suck onto other fish?

9. Tiny goatfish

Tiny goatfish Well Known Member Member

BN plecos are SUPER cute, I don't have any experience with ottos so I can't compare them but I would really suggest the BN plecos. Mine is really sassy and hates the camera :) It always waves it's tail at me when I come up to watch It. Its is a little skiddish but I'm hoping that will go away when It gets older.

10. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Siamese algae eaters in the main are peaceful, the problem is a lot of Lfs misidentify them.
    Chinese algae eaters, which are aggressive as they mature, are often sold as SAE's

11. OP
    OP
    TSgtSparky

I googled pictures of them... They look very similar.

12. BDpups

BDpups Well Known Member Member

Unless you have heavily planted tank, I would stay away from the SAE. I think they are the best algae eaters around, but the serve a purpose. The eat tough to remove algae like BBA. Otos and plecos are much more fun to have in my opinion. And will help clean up any of the more common algae.

13. Dom90

There are subtle differences that can tell them apart. But the average buyer doesn't know better so many LFS sell Chinese algae eater as SAEs.

14. KarenLM

BDpups why do you say to stay away from the SAE? My tank is moderately planted and the SAE is out and about all day for the most part. He's a gorgeous, graceful fish and one of my family's favorites in the tank! I would definitely get more if I had room in the tank.

15. Dom90

I agree, the SAEs in my tank are one of our favorites also, they are graceful as mentioned and not messy or eyesores like plecos.

16. G

Geoffrey Well Known Member Member

I think it's just a matter of perspective. I'm sure many here wouldn't call their plecos an "eyesore."

17. BDpups

BDpups Well Known Member Member

KarenLM

The reason I started to keep them was strictly for algae control. They are not something I would keep otherwise. I guess I did not take into account that not everyone shares that opinion. Mine all are very active too. Always cleaning the plants. I'm glad you enjoy yours so much.

18. OP
    OP
    TSgtSparky

SAE...controversial fish. Who would have thought! Lol

19. K

Kimberly4403 Well Known Member Member

I just got 2 true SAEs from a tank laybelled as flying fox.. My 2 are in a currently light planted tank and are so active they move around heaps and can clean even delicate plants like hair grass

Sent from my LG-D855 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

I used this site when looking for mine

Sent from my LG-D855 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2015
  20. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

Then Canada is the first country where Otos are mainly tankbred, which I seriously doubt. 99,9% are wildcaught and to my knowledge they're nowhere commercially bred.
    Cause of the diet needed lots of them die during catching, transport, selling!!!
    As most cats they're omnivores.
    They'll scavage leaves for tiny foodparts.
    They like decapsulated brineshrimpeggs aso.

In this case I'd go for a BN-variaty !!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice