Otos unable to eat algae wafers

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Forums' started by LadyRR, Dec 16, 2012.

1. L

LadyRR Valued Member Member

I have 2 otos in my tank, and when I try to put algae wafers in there for them, the other fish gobble them up before the ottos even get a chance to see them. Is there anything I can do to prevent this? Or something else I can feed them that the other fish won't eat? I have had them for about 2 years and they seem to be doing fine without the wafers, just eating whatever algae they find on the tank and decorations, but I wanted to start giving them something more to eat.

Thanks.

2. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

well, you could try feeding the algae wafers after you've fed the other fish what they eat - they'll be more likely to leave it alone when they are full. You can also try breaking it up into small pieces.

3. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome to fishLore !
    Feed after lights out, break them in pieces and drop in different places in the tank. You could also drop in a tiny bit of floating food at the same time as you drop a wafer in.They sound like their doing fine.
    Carol

4. Matt B

Matt B Well Known Member Member

You could also try offering them fresh veggies, I don't know what other stock is in the tank but they should get plenty of time to eat it if they want.

5. amber0107

amber0107 Well Known Member Member

I clip some zucchini near a top corner of my tank that's less busy so my otos have a fighting chance. They usually devour it by morning.

6. OP
    OP
    L

These are tiny algae wafers. Yea they are doing fine but I worry about them not getting enough to eat anyway. I guess I don't need to worry LOL.

Yea I was going to try that. What is it cucumber? I can't remember what they eat. I know you have to blanch it before you put it in there so they will eat it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2013
  7. monkeypie102

monkeypie102 Well Known Member Member

I got lucky :) the only other fish in my tank that compete for algae wafers, that aren't snails, are my cories and they taught my otos to eat freh veggies and wafers... anyways try breaking the wafers up and tossing them and different ends of the tank :)

8. OP
    OP
    L

Yea that's it. I thought it was cucumber but yea. And by blanching it, it means putting it in the microwave for a few seconds, right?

Well this was ALL of my other fish. My danios, my guppies, and my tetras. They all were in that little corner mobbing the wafers! LOL.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2013
  9. QQQUUUUAADDD

QQQUUUUAADDD Well Known Member Member

Yup that happens when I try to feed my cories any sinking food. 16 tetras swarm over it. The cories are the only ones besides snails that eat veggies so they can still get a good amount of food.

10. OP
    OP
    L

Ok everyone. I went and got some Zucchini and blanched it and used one of those corn cob holder things and skewered it and tossed it in the tank. He is still not eating it. Basically ignoring it. I am just worried he isn't getting anything to eat.

Should I just leave the Zucchini in the tank overnight and get it out in the morning? Maybe he will try to eat it. The other fish tried to attack it when it went in but they can't eat it LOL.

11. Matt B

Matt B Well Known Member Member

I would say leave it at least overnight to let him get a chance. 24 hours is the general guideline bit I have left it in for a bit longer.

12. OP
    OP
    L

Ok will do thanks.

13. Butterfly

Many times when we offer a new food our fish don't recognize it as food. Try offering it again and do leave it over night.
    carol

14. OP
    OP
    L

OK he finally started eating the zuchini and wow! He looked like a cartoon character eating a cob of corn. It was funny. He would even get upside down on it and his little white belly was sticking up and tail was flapping trying to get at the zuchini. He was so comical.

Anyway, he ate at it for most of the day today. I finally had to remove it because it had been in there overnight and most of the day and I had to do a water change. When I got it out, it didn't look like he had eaten any of it. Do they just suck the "juice" out of it? Or are they really eating anything? Or was it perhaps too hard for him? I blanched it in the microwave as was suggested here, and it sat overnight in the tank. Should I give a slice every night? Or just occasionally?

Thanks again everyone

15. Butterfly

He was probable getting plenty off of it :) Remember his tummy is tiny. in order for him to continue keeping your tank clean by eating algae and left over food I would only give him veggies about twice a week.
    Carol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice