otos okay in a tank with no algae?

Discussion in 'Otocinclus' started by kidster9700, Jul 29, 2015.

1. kidster9700

kidster9700 Well Known Member Member

so... my planted tank somehow has no algae (not yet anyways) and i was wondering if ottos would be okay? i mean, i'll feed them veggie wafers since thats what i have for my snails, but i know they like sucking stuff off the glass and everything. i was also going to get amano shrimp so even if i start getting algae, there won't be very much for the ottos!

2. Jswin

Jswin Well Known Member Member

Mine don't eat wafers that well, that being said they have a densely planted tank with lots of food sources

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

They;ll be fine, as long as you supplement their diet with veggies or algae wafers, etc.

4. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

Okay, cool. I've inly had them in algae-ridden tanns

5. alink

alink Well Known Member Member

Feed them fresh veggies several times per week, they wont touch algae/veggie wafers, at least the ones I have dont. You could also consider upgrading your light system or longer photo periods. Both will have potential to increase algae growth to feed the Otos.

6. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

I will be upgrading my lighting in just a few days. And I'm already feeding zucchini to my snails so it sounds like ottos will be a great addition!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice