Otos Dead!

Cheesearmada

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Welcome to fishlore!

Just gonna need some more info on this.
What are your water parameters? How did you add the fish into the tank?

THE HABITAT

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Also how New and established is your tank...those little guys eat a TON of algae and diatoms ...how many did u put in at once?

OP
YoBoiBlaze

YoBoiBlaze

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I'm out of testing equipment for the parrimiters atm I have a new kit coming in the next few days. It's a new tank, so no algae. I only got 2 but they died in less then 15 hours of getting them in the tank

THE HABITAT

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I would wait a few months before getting any more ..should get your water tested to make sure your cycled then let it build up some algae..or add a few plants...like I said their very heavy eaters for their size and if they don't have anything they will panic...just my opinion

TwoHedWlf

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
YoBoiBlaze said:
yesterday I got some otos from liveaquaria and I acclimated them and they were doing fine, I wake up this morning and the otos are dead! can anyone help
How did you acclimate them? Drip acclimate for 5 hours? Float in the bag for 5 minutes then dump them in the tank? Somewhere in between?

15 hours I would blame poor acclimation or stress from shipping. How long were they in transit?

Nart

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
They don't ship well especially in transit for 2-3 days. What was your acclimation method?
I suspect the transit and the acclimation used lead to it dying.

jmaldo

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I plan on getting some. Been doing some research. Agree with what's been mentioned. Just had a discussion with Dave125g maybe he can add to this post.

Dave125g

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Most of the time ottos are wild caught and need to be acclimated slowly. I use a drip system to acclimate mine. Usually if a fish dies in less then 24 hours after adding its because they were acclimated too fast. If not they were very sick and you would have noticed it. Check the return policy, you may be able to get it replaced.

Nart

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You have to becareful when drip acclimating fishes ordered online. The problem is once you open the bag and new air gets into the bag, the pH changes and ammonia spikes which harms the fish even more. Typically you want to just temperature acclimate and get them into clean water asap. If you do decide to do the drip method, you should use it in combination with a detoxifier like Seachem Prime.

But a 3 day transit is too long for Ottos. I would do overnight.

TwoHedWlf

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
YoBoiBlaze said:
Ok would it be better if I could get them shipped to my lps and do in-store pickup?
No, not unless you're unable to pick them up immediately at home, Or they'll just float them in their tanks for a couple hours rather than actually putting them into the tanks.

New Threads