Oto's cleaning Angel fish? 40 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by backflipfronflip, Dec 17, 2012.

1. backflipfronflipWell Known MemberMember

I have noticed that my Oto's will sometimes swim up to the other fish, mainly my Angel, and attempt to 'clean' them.

Has anyone noticed this behavior before? They do it to the smaller fish sometimes also but with less success. That is not to say that the Angel likes it as he swims off pretty quickly but i have seen it on many occasions now.

So has anyone else seen this behavior?

2. Matt B

Matt BWell Known MemberMember

I would research to make sure you have otos and not chinese algae eaters. One quick way to tell is look at the tail. The oto will have black bars while a cae will have black spots typically. If its an oto, its probably just trying to school with them, I've seen mine do this. If its a cae, it is probably trying to eat the slimecoat off the angel which is a very bad thing.

3. soltarianknight

soltarianknightFishlore VIPMember

Me thinks you have an CAE.

4. OP
    OP
    b

backflipfronflipWell Known MemberMember

I am pretty confident that they are Oto's I just compared them to the profile here on FL and on web images and they are Oto's. The Oto seems to have a flatter/broader head than the CAE and this would be true for mine, there are 7 of them and with the exception of minor coloring differences they all look physically the same.

I would try for a picture but they are always amongst the plants and very hard to picture.

5. amber0107

amber0107Well Known MemberMember

I've read stories of oto's doing that if they're very hungry. Are you feeding any fresh veggies or algae wafers to them?

6. Matt B

If you'd like a second opinion on the ID feel free to post a picture when you can get one, I'll check back on this thread.

7. soltarianknight

The only reason then for them to be doing this is if they are starving i suppose.

8. OP
    OP
    b

Here's the best i could get, they are pretty active little guys. Here's a snap of Weaver as well, the Angel.

Please excuse the snails.

I have a piece of veggie in there almost all of the time, currently there is cucumber, you can see it on the pot below the Angel. IMG_1770.jpg

Attached Files:

9. Matt B

Looks like an oto to me. They look pretty beat up, are you offering them veggies and/or algae tabs as was mentioned above.

10. OP
    OP
    b

I will note that it only seems to be one that is doing this, the one pictured here is the individual in question.

This one is a new one, i added 4 Oto about 3 weeks ago from my LFS.

11. OP
    OP
    b

What do you mean by beat up? Are you referencing the coloring? I noticed that a couple of the newer ones had more of a mottled color than the ones i had in the tank for a couple of months.

12. Matt B

Yes, I was referring to the mottled look. They may just need time. Does he actually attach? I've had otos that liked to swim with the other fish. The only other thing I can think of is keeping plenty of food available to it.

13. soltarianknight

Algae tabs are important here. On the other hand, your angel is a beauty. Your harlequin rasboras are really fat 0.0

14. OP
    OP
    b

My wife is happy with your appreciation of the Angel, she picked him. And yes the harlequins are definitely on the plump side.

15. OP
    OP
    b

Apparently Nori is a hit !!!

Attached Files:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice