Otos and Siamese Algae Eater

bluejay35

Hey all,

I have a planted 55 gallon tank with 6 otos. They are doing a decent job on the algae, but I was considering getting a Siamese Algae Eater. I went to my LFS the other day to buy one and the guy asked if I had any barbs or "shark like" fish in my tank. I have a denison barb and he said that the SAE would attack the barb and end up killing it. Has anyone experienced anything like this? And will the SAE be peaceful with the otos? Thanks for the help.

aquaticat

I've heard a lot of times people get true SAE's and fish like false SAE and flying fox fish mixed up, and I've read that TRUE SAE's are very peaceful fish, though I thought I did see somewhere that they would become aggressive towards fish like Rainbow or Redtailed sharks. So, as long as the fish your LFS has are true SAE's then I'd assume you'd be fine

I'm not 100% sure on this, but I've been reading up on SAE's lately, as I too would like to get a few as a clean-up crew.

bobthebadger53

/\ I have heard that they are peaceful except around different species that look like them.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Janice1979
Replies
Views
KyleC17
Replies
Views
Corydora Pro
Replies
Views