Otos And Sand

griffin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
is sand ok as a substrate for otos? i'm thinking that they might eat some (or a lot) of the sand as they're trying to eat algae off the grains? anyone have experience or know?

tia!

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
All I know is that it is possible for fish who eat off the bottom to eat sand especially if the grains are fine and the mouth of the otos are able to suck the stuff in. I do not think I would chance it.

Rose

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
we've gone with flat marbles in our tanks for their smoothness, but they do make for more cleaning. small river rocks might be a good substitute.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I really would still recommend the regular gravel as when I had stones one shifted and crushed one of my little guys.

Rose

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
chickadee said:
I really would still recommend the regular gravel as when I had stones one shifted and crushed one of my little guys.
Rose
Hmm, i'll keep that in mind and not use the big rocks but i was thinking about the really small river rocks that are nearly the size of gravel, but are just more smooth for the otos.

griffin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
chickadee said:
All I know is that it is possible for fish who eat off the bottom to eat sand especially if the grains are fine and the mouth of the otos are able to suck the stuff in. I do not think I would chance it.

Rose
hmm - good call. just out of curiousity, what happens if otos eat a little sand?

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Plugged up digestive system and death.

Rose

bbfeckawitts

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Many people with Dwarf puffers use sand and have otos as well. I have not heard of any problems with otos and sand.
Brianna

griffin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
hmm - that's true about the dwarf puffers with sand and otos. i'm wondering how much of an effect it would really have.....

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I've read that otos live in muddy river bottoms in the wild, so I wouldn't think that sand would be as much of a problem as with suckermouths that eat from rocks.

griffin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
i'm thinking it's worth a try. i've never heard anything bad about putting otos in sand tanks from people who have actually done it.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom