Otocinclus With Betta In 5 Gallon Tank?

Gaara

Will an otocinclus live in a 5 gallon with a Betta?

Beranga

Yes, but would be happier with a few friends.

DoubleDutch

No, otos like cooler flowing water.
Bettas don't.
A 5 G is too small in my opinion (for any fish)

Gaara

Ok thank you

JamieXPXP

like doubledutch said the tank is too small for both fish as bettas tend to be very territorial and there is little to nowhere for the otos to hide and otos need a bigger tank then 5g. I think 20 gallon is the minimum for otos. if you want tank mates for your betta you can try shrimp or snails in a 5g

Beranga

If the tank has been running for a few months, a couple of otos will do fine in it. I have had such a setup for two years.

JamieXPXP

If the tank has been running for a few months, a couple of otos will do fine in it. I have had such a setup for two years.
you can't put otos in that tank because of the betta. if it was larger then it would work but the tank is too small to have an aggressive fish with any other fish. its great you made it work but the tank is just too small even if its been running for a few months

varmint

You would also have a temperature problem along with the size of the tank.

Beranga

you can't put otos in that tank because of the betta. if it was larger then it would work but the tank is too small to have an aggressive fish with any other fish. its great you made it work but the tank is just too small even if its been running for a few months

If you say so...

Having an established tank for the otos will provide enough algae for them to eat, nothing to do with the possible aggression of a betta.

JamieXPXP

Having an established tank for the otos will provide enough algae for them to eat, nothing to do with the possible aggression of a betta.
yes it does. if the betta is aggressive then it will attack and/or kill the otos, and in a 5 gallon tank there isn't anywhere for the otos to go and hide if the betta doesn't like them

Beranga

if the betta is aggressive then it will attack and/or kill the otos

I am sure I have been lucky, but my bettas do not mind, gray, unatractive, fish stuck to the tank walls.

Fizzfrog

A 5 gallon is flat-out too small for otos. They need to be in groups of 6+ and are active fish. A 20 long or bigger is the best tank size for them. They do have a little bit of temperature overlap with bettas, but that overlap would be pushing it a bit for the otos. A betta would do fine in 79F, 79F is a little on the warm side for otos. They prefer mid-70's.

Bettas can do fine in a 5, alone or with a few shrimp/a smaller snail, though of course they would also be happier in a 10. They do swim around if given the space. If you want tank mates I recommend shrimp or nerite snails, as they can't reproduce in freshwater and are excellent algae-eaters. Don't look too shabby either. Bettas could go after shrimp though.

Laina

I have found that my betta did not like the Oto. They were in a 5 gal. The oto is now very content in the 55 gallon community. more friends faster water lower temp. so not really recommended.

Gaara

Thank you but
It is working for me the Betta did look curious at the beginning when I add the otos but then he did not even look at them.

Fizzfrog

The issue isn't just with whether or not the betta will be okay with the otos in his tank. You wouldn't want to force someone to live in something the size of a bathroom their entire lives, would you? Why would you do the same to fish? Otos need the 20 long so they have space to move around as well as to have enough water to comfortably hold them in the numbers they need to be in. A betta can live comfortably in a 5 because of their activity levels, but otos cannot.

What you're going to end up with by putting otos in a 5 gallon with a betta is either only 1 or 2 otos (which is what the filter would likely be able to support in terms of bioload) which is only a fraction of the school size they need, or you're going to end up with super overcrowded fish which will lead to an enormous bioload for the tank, a cycle crash, an ammonia spike, and sick/dead fish. Otos are sensitive to water parameters as well. You're not making your fish happy.

Edit: this isn't even taking into consideration the differences in water parameters that the two types of fish like. Your otos are going to be too warm and your betta too cold.

Gaara

Ok thank you I will return the oto back to the lfs.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
animalgirl257
  • Question
10 Gallon Tank Is my tank crowded
Replies
Views
carsonsgjs
Replies
Views