Otocinclus Scales look odd

Kassh4815

I got an oto tonight for my pea puffer tank and when I put him in he looks…. Odd. I’m not going to post all rank stats water is good to go. He is a brand new fish so it would be something with the pet store tank. Any ideas what it could be. See attachment

Blacksheep1

He looks skinny :( maybe parasites ?? Or just a good feed needed

TClare

I agree he looks very thin, which is concerning. I am not sure what you mean about the scales, the pictures are not clear enough, Otocinclus don’t actually have scales.

Kassh4815

I agree he looks very thin, which is concerning. I am not sure what you mean about the scales, the pictures are not clear enough, Otocinclus don’t actually have scales.
Look at the front half of his body compared to the back. It looks like it’s lighter in color. I’ll post a better pic once I can. He is hiding at the moment
I zoomed in where I circled is where the color difference is. Almost like a v shape

TClare

The part you have outlined looks a bit sunken, it should be more filled out, I think this is because he is very thin. Is he eating?

Kassh4815

I literally put him in
The part you have outlined looks a bit sunken, it should be more filled out, I think this is because he is very thin. Is he eating?
i put him in the tank like just before I posted this. He’s doing normal oto things right now. Sticking to the side at the moment because he’s stressed from the move
I’ll put in a algae pellet in there tonight so he can feast the tank is young so not a lot to clean atm

TClare

I hope he makes it.

Kassh4815

Here is a little better of a picture. I marked the exact line of where the color difference is

TClare

I can see what you are talking about, I think it is because you are seeing his underlying structure, the bony plates, beneath the skin because he is so thin.

MacZ

Besides the fact that Otocinclus are scaleless... That fish is almost starved to death irreversably and it's likely it has Oodinium, which is a death sentence because all meds proven to work against Oodinium contain copper. Which is also proven to kill catfish.

I'd put it down.

Kassh4815

I’ll put him down humanly. If I take him back they will try and resell him.

MacZ

I’ll put him down humanly. If I take him back they will try and resell him.
Honestly, I doubt it will survive catch and transport anyways.

Kassh4815

Honestly, I doubt it will survive catch and transport anyways.
It’s down the road chances are he will but i wouldn’t feel right about returning him.

Thunder_o_b

Would you consider quarantining your next fish? I truly hope that this issue did not spread to the other inhabitants of the aquarium.

Kassh4815

The only other inhabitant is a pea puffer but I will be picking up a 2 gallon quarantine / hospital tank the next time we get fish.

TClare

Sorry about your too, I really didn't think it would survive, but thought just maybe if you could get it to eat. But it probably is best to euthanize rather than let it starve slowly. Such a shame that otos seem to arrive in the US and Europe in very bad condition. Here they have a reputation of being very hardy! I suppose it is because they do not have so far to travel. I only lost one, but I think he was injured, he had a white spot (fungus?) on his nose. I now have 16 in 3 different tanks, some of which I have had for for about 18 months. They are fat and healthy and I hardly ever give them additional food, but the tanks are quite big, with plenty of plants and driftwood. They mind their own business and keep the plants very clean, it is always fun to watch them and I would not hesitate to recommend them for planted tanks, if I had not read so many times that they are so likely to die.

Randomfish556

Try to get it eat first at least?

DoubleDutch

I hope he makes it.
Agree, I am afraid we're looking at a dieing Oto here. Sorry to say.

Kassh4815

Agree, I am afraid we're looking at a dieing Oto here. Sorry to say.
I put him down humanly and then went to a local aquatics store and picked another that is very healthy. He’s in quarantine now

FoldedCheese

Also just for the future, otos are notoriously sensitive fish that usually require an established tank with plenty of algae. From what I've read most are wild caught and it can be difficult to transition them/get them to eat artificial foods like wafers which is why a lot of them starve to death.

Kassh4815

Also just for the future, otos are notoriously sensitive fish that usually require an established tank with plenty of algae. From what I've read most are wild caught and it can be difficult to transition them/get them to eat artificial foods like wafers which is why a lot of them starve to death.
The tank I put him in is cycled but hasn’t been around long so not a TON of algae. If I see him thinning out I’ll move him to my 36 gallon tank that’s been up for 3-4 months and has plenty to eat. My oto in that tank is thriving. Both tanks have the same water parms and temps so should be easy to transition.
As you can see this guy is much plumper

FoldedCheese

The tank I put him in is cycled but hasn’t been around long so not a TON of algae. If I see him thinning out I’ll move him to my 36 gallon tank that’s been up for 3-4 months and has plenty to eat. My oto in that tank is thriving. Both tanks have the same water parms and temps so should be easy to transition.

Fair enough. You probably bought one that was already starving, which is not uncommon.

TClare

That one looks much better!

DoubleDutch

I wood move it as soon it is quarintied properly. Cycling isn't the word in this case but matured. If you'll wait till it starts thinnening it will probably be to late. Plus they like company of their species. Not shoaling but definitely benefit of this.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
BigManAquatics
  • Question
Replies
Views
Lynxie
Replies
Views
Ruairi
  • Question