Otocinclus Or Bristlenose Pleco?

Discussion in 'Catfish' started by XenoMarc, Apr 16, 2017.

1. XenoMarc

XenoMarc Valued Member Member

Hello.
    In the future, after finish cycling my fish tank with neon tetras (which I explained in my other thread), I am planning to buy an algae eater since there is a lot of white fungi on my Driftwood.
    However, I am not sure on whether to buy otocinclus or a bristlenose pleco.
    For those wondering, this is my tank:  
    I'd buy a bristlenose pleco but I'm worried that it'll knock my unstable Driftwood over or damage the plants. On the other hand, I'd buy some ottos but what if they don't eat any algae or are mistaken and actually are Siamese algae eaters.

Would you rather buy ottos or BN pleco and why?

Thank you.

2. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_b Fishlore VIP Member

In my OPINION ottos are the best there is for the job. But they are a school fish and you really should not have less than 5-10 in the tank. Ottos are for many very hard to keep alive (I am one) but members like @DoubleDutch have no issues with keeping them.
    I love the little guys. They are as cute as they come.

BN and ABN (bristle nose and albino bristle nose) are cool fish but are not all that good for algae control. Also, they can live over 20 years so be sure you want one before you buy.

EDIT: Far to early in the morning. As @oOBlueOo said the fungus will take care if its self. Ottos and BN,ABN will not eat it.

1. One of our ottos.
    _MG_3947%20copy_zpsdahjcc1d.jpg

2. Beast. He is our 7 year old ABN.
    _MG_7835%20copy_zpskk0o0l9q.jpg

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
  3. oOBlueOo

oOBlueOo Well Known Member Member

The white fungi is pretty common on new driftwood. It disappears on its own eventually.

Bn plecos are messy. They will actually poop everywhere and make your tank dirtier. They're pretty fish, but they're poop machines.

Ime, otos should only be added to a tank that's been established for a while. Most of them are wildcaught and a bit fragile.

4. NavigatorBlack

NavigatorBlack Fishlore VIP Member

If you are prepared to do the extra to keep a shoal of Otos alive after the biofilm is gone, then Otos will do a better job. But if they are to live their lifespans, they take pristine water, a good flow and close attention to their diet.

An Ancistrus will also clear the biofilm, and live forever with a bit of basic tlc. I don't find the waste situation with them to be even close to the true poop machines, common plecos. The fact they remain so much smaller helps.

5. Thunder_o_b

I keep hearing how BN, ABN are very messy fish. But I have kept them for many years and have never noticed this at all. We have them in 3 aquariums now and they seem to be no worse than any other fish we keep *shrug* I do not know. May be it is the high filtration I use (example, the 44 has 750 GPH flow) and the maintenance I do on the aquariums. But I do love them....Except when Beast developed a taste for the guppies in the tank he was in. I watched him swim by with a struggling guppy in his mouth. (he now lives with full grown angels and behaves himself)

6. oOBlueOo

Maybe I've just been extremely unlucky with bn plecos

My abn had long trails of poop and ate plants. My current bn also poops quite a lot compared to my other fish and prefers shrimp pellets over algae.

7. NavigatorBlack

NavigatorBlack Fishlore VIP Member

The Ancistrus messiness reputation comes, I think, from bare tanks, and keeping them in too small tanks. Since unplanted, fake planted or bare tanks shouldn't exist anyway ;), and every tank in my universe would have a substrate and be well planted, I just don't see it.
    I have raised entire spawns of BNs and not found them messier than Cichlids of the same size.

8. Thunder_o_b

I have found over the years that there is tremendous variation in how different strains of the same species of fish act and live.

It does not surprise me that your ABN likes shrimp pellets. Beast likes frozen brine, blood worms and as stated above guppies :mad:

9. oOBlueOo

LOL those poor guppies!

Bare tanks are boring! I have mine in a planted 20g temporarily. It has white sand, so everything is visible.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice