Otocinclus Loss Name: Oto Rip

frogmastertimmy

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Rip oto my Otocinclus heard they die very easy. I believe mine starved himself sadly. He or She was healthy when I got him/her but then refused to eat anything. I have heard almost all Dwarf suckers are wild caught and this is why they die. Letting people who don’t know this not to get them if your like me at least and get attached very easily

RIP Oto

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yeah ottos are a hard fish to keep. Don’t buy right away. Talk to the lfs workers and find out what there feeding them,how long they’ve had them and what they know about them. Most of the time you get ottos there dying already. They have a stomach bacteria that digests algae for them (that’s what they live on) and if they havnt been takin care of correctly in the pet store that bacteria is dead or dieing off and they are going to die. Ottos need a well established tank. Something at least a year old with some algae and micro film growing in it. Just to have a chance at living. Your not the first to lose an Otto. How long did you have it?

frogmastertimmy

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yeah ottos are a hard fish to keep. Don’t buy right away. Talk to the lfs workers and find out what there feeding them,how long they’ve had them and what they know about them. Most of the time you get ottos there dying already. They have a stomach bacteria that digests algae for them (that’s what they live on) and if they havnt been takin care of correctly in the pet store that bacteria is dead or dieing off and they are going to die. Ottos need a well established tank. Something at least a year old with some algae and micro film growing in it. Just to have a chance at living. Your not the first to lose an Otto. How long did you have it?
Only had him 5 days

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It’s hard to lose these guys even if it has only been five days. I’m sorry for your loss. My heart is with you.

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
sorry for your loss. There is a much better survival rate with these voracios eaters when your tank is very well established. usually 6 months or more IME.

Top Bottom