Otocinclus Has White Spots By Mouth Help

1. Monsterchu Initiate Member

Not sure if I am overreacting or if my oto is sick. I'm watching my tank closely because my german blue ram passed away today for no apparent reason :(. I'm uploading two pictures one of the oto displaying the white marks and oto2 without them like the rest.

Here are my water parameters. I used both the API Freshwater Master Kit and the Tetra Easy Strips

~API/Tetra~
    Amonia: 0/0.5
    Nitrate: 10-20/10
    Nitrite: 0/0
    PH: 8/8.2
    ~Tetra Only~
    Hardness: 300 ppm
    Chlorine: 0 ppm
    Alkalinity: 120 ppm

Disclaimer: All my fish have been acclimated to my high PH and have shown no signs of stress.

Attached Files:

2. BeanFish Well Known Member Member

If your ammonia is 0.5 I would fix that. Appart from that the pictures arent exactly the best quality (specially the second one) but I cant see anything wrong with the otocinclus.

3. Monsterchu Initiate Member

I just had a water change yesterday and I tested 0/0. I am thinking the ammonia increase was due to the german blue ram dying. I want to hold off on a water change at least one more day to avoid new tank syndrome.

4. BeanFish Well Known Member Member

New tank syndrome? Bacteria doesnt live in the water, it lives on surfaces (aka your filter media) so water changes wont cause any harm, they can only do good. Ammonia needs to be 0, anything more and it is harmful. Otos are very delicate in terms of water quality, my guess is that if your ammonia is actually 0.5 and you dont fix it the otocinclus may die.

5. Monsterchu Initiate Member

Thanks! Didn't know about that. I will be making a water change and I'll continue watching the fish.

6. BeanFish Well Known Member Member

No problem. Seems to be a common misconception. If bacteria lived in the water then I would be having new tank syndromes every week in all my tanks.
    Good luck with your fish :)