Otocinclus Fry! Any Tips To Help Them Survive? I Can't Find Much Info. - Page 2

Fishcat

They are tiny zebras at the moment and the cutest things I’ve seen for a while. I couldn’t find them - I had to ask where they were.

Trenzalore

How have the oto young faired since August? I'm interested to see how many survived, and if you had to sell any to make sure they were all fed! They're so cute, I'm glad people are working on captive breeding them.

ProudPapa

I would also like an update.

Draeon

For future reference, Oto fry feed on microorganisms in the tank before switching to algae and plant matter so feeding fry actually isn't a concern until they move to the same food as adults, as long as your tank is established enough to have microorganisms for them to eat.

I am pretty certain I have a female holding eggs in my 60 gallonlong atm, and would love to talk with you about things you've done to care for these fry. 29 survivors is a fantastic number, and insight from your experience may prove infinitely valuable for me if my oto breeds.

JenC

I thought I'd posted updates! Perhaps I posted them in a different thread? I'm so sorry.

The otos are doing GREAT! I kept all 29 fry and it hasn't been a problem at all keeping them fed. The aufwuchs on the plants and driftwood really keep them fed but I do supplement 1-3 times a week with an algae wafer or blanched zucchini just in case. I think I've lost 2 or 3 of them since they moved into the 29g. They haven't produced any fry that I've seen. I'm sure the barbs make quick work of their eggs if there are any.

Here they are schooling during a thunderstorm:

And I have another update!

Eight days ago I moved three of them from the 29g into an established, well planted 5.5g nursery tank. I wanted to see if I'd get lucky and they'd want to spawn. I guessed at genders, picking two larger and one smaller oto. And this morning I woke up to see oto fry again.

IMG_20200413_1124467.jpg

The 5.5g nursery tank (that had housed endler fry until two days ago) where they spawned:

IMG_20200413_1127437.jpg

I'll let everyone know how things go. And I'll test and post tank parameters for reference later.

Coradee

Lovely, your Oto videos always make me smile
Mine look like they’re getting ready to spawn again, this time their only tankmates are corys so hopefully I’ll get some survivors, keep us posted on how your new ones are doing.

JenC

Coradee, have you seen eggs when your otos spawn? I've been looking but see none. I'm not sure how big they would be.

Coradee

I have this one pic of eggs with a crystal black shrimp cleaning them so that gives an indication of size

Attachments

• 9FDDD4BD-6B4A-461F-B87A-6D640DB80DF6.jpeg
    9FDDD4BD-6B4A-461F-B87A-6D640DB80DF6.jpeg
    71.5 KB · Views: 87

JenC

I have this one pic of eggs with a crystal black shrimp cleaning them so that gives an indication of size
Hmm, quite small. How great that you got a picture of them!

I'll keep looking.

The adults have been playing least in sight for the past two days. It worried me yesterday but I guess they're busy, maybe tired or staying near the eggs.

I see four fry so far.

FinsandWhiskers

Hmm, quite small. How great that you got a picture of them!

I'll keep looking.

The adults have been playing least in sight for the past two days. It worried me yesterday but I guess they're busy, maybe tired or staying near the eggs.

I see four fry so far.
Otos disregard the eggs after laying them

JenC

The oto fry are doing well! The most I've counted at once is 8 but I'm sure there are more. They were on the walls the first day or two but are now zooming around and attaching to plants.

Approximate Parameters During Spawn: Nitrate 5, pH 7.5, GH 8, KH 4, temp 78 degrees, no fertilizers, tank mates endler fry (since removed) and RCS, 5.5g tank, Aquaclear 30 filter. (I'm now letting the tank's GH fall as I was previously boosting it for endlers but the otos don't need that.) For reference, parameters the last time I had otos spawn (before they went into a community tank) were approximately nitrate 5, pH 7.5, GH 7, KH 9, temp 78 degrees, fertilizers Seachem Flourish Comprehensive, Nitrogen, and Phosphorus, tank mates ember tetras and RCS, 10g tank, Aquaclear 30 filter. Both tanks heavily planted.

Unfortunately I detected a nitrite spike in the tank. I've never had one before but I suspect I unwittingly crashed my cycle just before the otos were added when I dosed Kanaplex for the previous tank's inhabitants, or perhaps I overdosed Bacter AE afterward. I'm managing it with water changes and Prime. Time will tell if there are lasting repercussions but I've seen no dead shrimp or otos so far.

I lost one fry who swam under and apparently got stuck under a glass feeding dish. I removed the dish from the tank.

I'm setting up another planted tank in case it's needed down the road for grow out.

Some pics from tonight of the oto I'm guessing is laying the eggs:

IMG_20200416_1333049.jpg

IMG_20200416_1335003.jpg

JenC

I observed them mating twice tonight and I just saw them leave two eggs on a leaf. It's truly the coolest thing I've seen in my tanks. I didn't see any of this last time.

The fry are now various sizes so it's clear some are older than others. The younger ones (so tiny!) seem to be found on the glass but the bigger ones are zooming around through the tank.

JenC

I noticed three dots on the glass. I thought they were just eggs but they had tiny tails sticking out of the sacs. They didn't move for about two days but during that time their tails got longer and their heads became more pronounced. On day two their tails started moving occasionally. On day three they looked proportional and had moved a little bit across the glass (staying within an inch or two of where they started). I saw no egg sac remnants left behind.

I thought the fry hatched all at once, fully formed and mobile. These seemed to grow out of their eggs, which kept them anchored in place, over a a few days.

IMG_20200420_1453395.jpg

Coradee

Great shot, you’re going to corner the market soon for tank bred Oto’s!

Trenzalore

Did you manage to raise the second batch of fry after that spike of nitrite, and how many adults do you have now?

JenC

Did you manage to raise the second batch of fry after that spike of nitrite, and how many adults do you have now?
I did! It was a much smaller group the second time. I think 7 fry survived; the spike may have played a part in the low number. I'm keeping them separated in a heavily planted 10g for now.

The one thing in common both times they spawned was that they were moved from one tank to another just before it happened. I've been debating whether to try running two oto tanks with slightly different parameters to see if tank transfers would trigger it.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
JennCav
Replies
Views
CindiL

Random Great Page!

Did You Know...

TedsTank made a thread about some of the more common questions about driftwood.
Driftwood Notes

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom