Otocinclus Fry... any advice?

Biff
Since the Spring, my five otocinclus in a 10-gallon species tank, have been laying eggs which have hatched. I have no idea how or why this has been happening. In the beginning, I tried to feed the fry with vegetables, spirulina, and pulverized shrimp pellets. None of them were interested or survived. Several months ago I began using Bacter AE and the fry have lived. Now I have otos from about four different hatchings and I have counted as many as 27 in the tank.

Has anyone else had this happen? Any advice on what to do next?

Thanks!

Attachments

• New1.JPEG
    New1.JPEG
    23.4 KB · Views: 49
  • New2.JPEG
    New2.JPEG
    40.1 KB · Views: 44
  • New4.JPEG
    New4.JPEG
    19.8 KB · Views: 44
  • Otos on Leaves.JPEG
    Otos on Leaves.JPEG
    64.9 KB · Views: 46
Advertisement
Demeter
Little tiny fry like that generally need to have plenty of biofilm to eat as they cannot/will not eat prepared foods. Bacter AE is perfect for creating good biofilm, it's no surprise you are having better success with it. If you haven't tried it already, look into Repashy gel foods. I think that would be a good transitioning food to get the fry eating solid food.

For now, let them grow out to a sell-able size (eating prepared foods) then chat up your local pet store and see if they are willing to take them off your hands. Either that or research how to ship them.

Biff
I tried Repashy but it only attracted snails... lots of snails now that I'm using Bacter AE!

Thanks Demeter!

Convoluted77
Congrats on the oto fry.I feel like that's an accomplishment.Id love to have tank raised otos.Those little otos are are super cute.

aquachris
Grats on the otos, they are so cute! Love watching my otos, I cant imagine having that many little ones, I'd never stop watching my tank!

Biff
Grats on the otos, they are so cute! Love watching my otos, I cant imagine having that many little ones, I'd never stop watching my tank!
I wish I could share a video or two. They're very lively!
Thanks

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Momgoose56
Replies
Views
GenF211
  • Question
Replies
Views
Yeoy