1. Amazon PRIME Day is today!
    Stock up on aquarium goodies!

No PRIME membership? No problem, sign up for a 30 Day Free Prime Trial to take advantage of the PRIME day sale prices!

Dismiss Notice

Otocinclus Foods..

1. nexigen

nexigen Valued Member Member

I asked this once regarding the diet of my Betta, and the feedback was great, I learned alot and the little guy loves his diet plan.

So, going to ask for my Otos. I was just letting them eat algae but that's diminishing now. I supplement with blanched zuchini. I recently read they also eat blood worms on occasion - which already is part of my Betta's diet.

What about Hikari wafers? Would those make a good staple diet? Or any other suggestions? Thinking that I'll feed them zuchini 1-2 days/wk, bloodworms 1 day/wk, and 4 days / wk.... Hikari wafers? Open to suggestions and if there's better brands, thanks!

2. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

The best thing you can do is to culture algae outside the tank, and move it to the tank. You can do this with rocks, that way you have a continuous supply of algae for them to eat.

Advertisement

3. amber0107

amber0107 Well Known Member Member

Mine eat algae wafers, zucchini and romaine lettuce. They might be eating some of the other foods I put in there, but I've never witnessed it.

4. LyndaB

LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

+1

Many otos will not accept supplemental food and will actually die of starvation. Mine will also eat any algae wafer/flake offered.

5. L

Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

Mine will nibble on the zuchini slightly, but that is it , will not take algea wafers or anyother prepared food.

6. r

ray_sj Valued Member Member

Mine are nuts for blanched zucchini and broccoli stalks. I've never had any otos go for algae wafers.

7. OP
    OP
    nexigen

nexigen Valued Member Member

They have a tendency not to go after hair algae, like they don't know what it is at first - and then they forget what it is when I add more. I remember I put an anubias nana in there from my main that was covered in the stuff, took about 2-3 days before they started eating it, then it was perfectly cleaned a day later.

One of the new ones I acclimated last night ran straight for the algae wafer, which is a pile of goo after a couple hours so I'm not sure if I'll add that again. The two originals love zuchini though.