Otocinclus feeding and care

Randomfish556

Around 3 days ago I got some 4 oto cats from petsmart. I have a lot of brown algae, biofilm and some green algae in my tank (40g) right now. They seem to be enjoying it for now but I’m still worried they might starve. What’s your experience feeding them?

I’ve put in algae wafers (fluval bug bites algae crisps) but they’re either not interested in them or the mollies get to it before them and chase them away. In the future I’m going to remove the mollies and put them in a different tank. I’ve also put some rocks in a container with ferts to try and grow algae but there’s really no sunlight this time of year. Right now I do let whatever sunlight there is into my tank and keep the lights on for longer.

You must be registered to see images

Can anyone tell if they’re healthy?

CreativeName1

Your otos are fine and have plenty of algae to eat (the reason why they aren’t interested in the algae wafers). I only see algae on maybe a few rocks (none on the glass) yet mine are still too occupied with it to eat wafers. Your otos should have plenty to eat for a bit. Once they eat most of it you could drop some wafers in just in case :)

Randomfish556

Your otos are fine and have plenty of algae to eat (the reason why they aren’t interested in the algae wafers). I only see algae on maybe a few rocks (none on the glass) yet mine are still too occupied with it to eat wafers. Your otos should have plenty to eat for a bit. Once they eat most of it you could drop some wafers in just in case :)
Okay thanks, I heard that sometimes they’ll refuse algae wafers and end up starving to death so I’m a bit paranoid over them o_O they’re very cute and fun to watch

CreativeName1

Okay thanks, I heard that sometimes they’ll refuse algae wafers and end up starving to death so I’m a bit paranoid over them o_O they’re very cute and fun to watch
I’m not sure I have heard about that. All I know is that they don’t eat wafers and they have grown a lot (I have had them about a month now).

jmaldo

Congrats
It may take a bit of time but they eventually will figured out the Algae wafers are food. Mine also enjoyed brussel sprouts and zucchini.
Here's a older pic..

Good Luck!

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
mrsP
Replies
Views
Acara
Replies