60 Gallon Tank Otocinclus Cocama (Zebra Oto): Any owner these days?

N0body Of The Goat

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
There's a post about these guys further down the front page from December 2009, where no-one owned up to actually owning them...

I'm wondering if this has changed in the last five months and how you have found them?

I'm seriously (no really, this is not another one of my "wishlist fish for 24 hour ideas") considering some of these guys for my Rio 240, perhaps even as one of the next fish to add to the four week old setup, as water stats are good and there is a good amount of algae over the plants, bodwood and tank glass (plus I have algae wafers bought yesterday, which my Rabbit Snails are giving a fair trial).

However, as this Oto species is almost 4 times the cost of the more common Otos (Zebra are ~£28 for a pair if I remember correctly), plus they sometimes don't settle well and die, I'm wondering whether I should hold off for a while longer and get something safer like Columbian or Priscella Tetras as next fish (once the Pearl Danio adults are out of QT and their fry have been safely rounded up into a fine mesh breeder).

phishyitis

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
For that price I wouldn't risk putting them in such a new tank.I think the majority of Ottos are wild caught and need to go into a tank that is stable a min. of three to four months.They like to be in shoals to feel comfortable and increase the chances at survival.In a 60gal I would put a min. 5 or 6 and drip acclimate for an hour.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom