Oto Was Stuck And Now Doesn't Look Good

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by 0morrokh, Apr 3, 2006.

1. 0morrokh

0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

I'd better start at the beginning...I have a plastic plant that I left floating at the top for some extra cover, and there are a bunch of fake roots over the plastic cup at the bottom...anyway one of my Otos got himself wedged between the roots and the cup, and I eventually got him out this morning...anyway his fins were shredded and his lip was bleeding and his body was bent to the side from being stuck at a wierd angle...fortunately he is still alive and can swim because I saw him in a different place than he was when I left for school...but his body is still bent to the side and his caudal and dorsal fins look terrible...and he must be totally stressed out and exhausted...is there anything I can do for him????????????????????? Sorry I'm really panicking...he looks so bad...my poor little Mist :'(

2. NeenNew MemberMember

I'm so sorry!!!! Luckily you noticed before you went to school! I hope he'll be okay. I'm sure someone on this site will be able to help you. Good luck & let us know how he does. Gina

3. OP
    OP
    0morrokh

Yes, I'll let you know how he does. The poor guy, he was just recovering from finrot and now this... :'(

4. Isabella

IsabellaFishlore VIPMember

Poor oto ... sorry to hear that.Well, I don't know what to suggest that you could do, because it's not like the oto has a disease. He is hurt because he got tangled in plastic plants - he probably tried to get out so desperately that he shredded his fins. I think the best you can do is to watch him carefully. Maybe increase the tank's temperature so that his immune system is more responsive. The higher the temperature, the better is the effectiveness of fish's immune system - and right now the oto is most vulnerable to succumb to some disease because of his wound(s). Perhaps that can at least prevent him from getting any infections from his wounds exposed. I really do hope that he recovers.

5. zebraValued MemberMember

so sorry hope all is well.
    Will give a prayer for you both.

6. OP
    OP
    0morrokh

I didn't know that turning up the temp did that. I will turn it up a bit. How high do you think I should make it? It is currently at 78. Thanks everyone for your replies. :)

7. OP
    OP
    0morrokh

Well, I just checked on Mist and he actually looks pretty good. His body is pretty much unbent, and I know he's been moving around, and somehow now he seems more calm and oto-like, not so panicked and shocked. His tail looks AWFUL though. :( It reminds me of one of those old dusting rags, all torn up. :'( Do you think there is any medication I should use to help his fin grow back?

8. OP
    OP
    0morrokh

Well, he's doing pretty well. He was swimming all over the bottom, sucking for algae. I added an extra teaspoon of my Stress Coat conditioner. It says that the aloe in it is good for regenerating fins and replentishing the slime coat after stress. I don't know if it works or not, but aloe is great for healing people's cuts, so I suppose it must help fish too.
    Any thoughts on what I should do for his tail? It's split really deeply. :(

9. Isabella

IsabellaFishlore VIPMember

I think at least 80F would be safe for any tropical fish (but increase it very gradually). Many people would increase the temperature even higher. But I don't want to be advising you on what that higher temperature should be because I am not an expert in these matters. Maybe Gunnie or Butterfly will tell us what temperature would be safe for them, and all other fish you have in that tank. They both know very well about otos. Stress coat may be a good solution too (or even better when combined with higher temp.?) I am glad to hear the oto is already doing better. I think the shredded fins should grow back if he looks OK.

10. OP
    OP
    0morrokh

The other fish in there are Guppies and Platys, and they couldn't care less about the water. ;) I will increase the temp gradually to 80-82 degrees I think.(the reason I give a range is because my tamp usually fluctuates a tiny bit since my room is so cold at night :p) My other Oto grew back his tail fin after bad finrot, and I hope Mist will do the same...the reason I'm so worried is because next week is spring break, and our family is leaving on a trip on Sunday...so I have like 5 days to help him get better and then I leave. :-\ *sigh*--whoever thought I would be dreading a family vacation? :(

11. vin

vinWell Known MemberMember

Gunnie could perhaps confirm this, but I think Melafix and Pimafix will help to fend off disease while the injured, frayed fins repair themselves. I seem to recall her recommending this to someone who had an issue with fins that had been nipped by other fish. Also, adding a little Stress Coat certainly won't hurt.

12. OP
    OP
    0morrokh

I had thought of Melafix, I've heard it recommended, but I'm not sure if it's too strong for Otos. And of course I don't have a Q tank quite yet so I would have to treat the entire tank. :-\ Would I be fine if I used a half dose?

13. chickadee

chickadeeFishlore VIPMember

Melafix will help keep him from an infection in the cuts and the warmer water will help with the fin problems. i just answered the message about him being better. I am so sorry. But as long as he is eating he is not in any urgent danger. But definitely do the Melafix it will help him and it is herbal so it will not hurt the other fish. You can use this full dosage on catfish and otos so don't half dose it.

Sorry. Do let me know how he is doing!

Rose
    :'(

14. OP
    OP
    0morrokh

Don't be sorry Rose, it's not your fault you got sick. I will be sure to keep you all posted on how he is doing. :)

I think the finrot is returning, which I am not surprised about because of how stressed out he must have been. I saw some fraying on a fin that was fine yesterday. :( I will treat again with my Fungus Cure for the finrot, and then remove that and use Melafix. Or should I just use Melafix? He doesn't really have noticeable cuts though, just really bad fins. I'm glad to hear the Melafix is fine, I don't know why I thought it would be too strong... :p

Well, he seems to be doing fine, eating the new zucchini like it's going to vanish in the next second :D, and swimming around. He actually looks pretty fat, and he didn't lose his color like he kept doing before with finrot. Hopefully the little guy will get better again.

15. chickadee

chickadeeFishlore VIPMember

please watch for the red streaks again and if they start, put him on the Melafix immediately.

Rose
    :)

16. OP
    OP
    0morrokh

Don't worry, I have not seen any reddness since it went away besides a little cut on his lip the day he got stuck in the plant. I might go out and get Melafix just in case I need it. For now I will treat for that dratted finrot.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice