Oto Vs. Bristlenose

What bottom feeder would you recommend for this tank as described below?

• Total voters

AustinS

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hey guys. I've had my first aquarium going for over half a year now, and I'm looking into buying some sort of bottom dweller and/or algae eater. The main contenders for me right now are the otocinclus catfish and the bristlenose pleco. My main concern is overstocking this aquarium, here's what I currently have:

29 gal aquarium
- 11 neon tetras
- 9 silvertip tetras
- 1 assassin snail
- a colony of unwanted pest pond/bladder snails

Since otos are communal, I'd like to put around 4 or 5 to make them feel comfortable and happy, if I was to go with them. I'd prefer the bottom feeder I choose to feed on brown algae because light doesn't reach some spots around the driftwood very well and I can't always reach it all when I siphon. Would I be able to fit either of these fish? I would not want them to be too cramped or unhappy. Are there any other recommendations?

Here is a link to another post of mine, where a picture can be seen (so you guys know how much space/gallons are taken by decor and plants):
Aquarium Critique And Suggestions
The pest snail population has somewhat declined since that picture was taken to about 75%, and I've added just a few plants of val I am waiting to spread.

Sorry if that was a lot, thanks in advance!

max h

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Oto's really aren't a cleanup crew, they will take care of algae in the tank.

OP
AustinS

AustinS

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
max h said:
Oto's really aren't a cleanup crew, they will take care of algae in the tank.
Is there something you'd recommend? I was not sure if the otos or bristlenose would eat brown algae in the first place lol.

SadieCM

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I had otos in my last tank and loved them. But another option for you might be amano shrimp. They're a bit more expensive than otos but they won't impact your bioload as much as fish and they are great at algae cleanup. Plus they're really fun to watch!

Terabyte

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Bn plecs will trash your plants and uproot them if you ever go planted. I have one in my 65 gal and he just stis in a decoration all day long. Never eats algae and only comes out for wafers. I bought 9 otos and they work wonders

OP
AustinS

AustinS

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
SadieCM said:
I had otos in my last tank and loved them. But another option for you might be amano shrimp. They're a bit more expensive than otos but they won't impact your bioload as much as fish and they are great at algae cleanup. Plus they're really fun to watch!
I was considering shrimp but I'm not sure it'd fit the sort of "Amazon River" theme for the tank. I'll definitely keep them in mind though, thanks!

Terabyte said:
Bn plecs will trash your plants and uproot them if you ever go planted. I have one in my 65 gal and he just stis in a decoration all day long. Never eats algae and only comes out for wafers. I bought 9 otos and they work wonders
I currently have a few live plants but I'm waiting for my val to spread across the back of my aquarium, so maybe I'll think twice about the pleco. I've also heard they can be lazy eaters
How many otos would you recommend for my tank to not be overstocked? Have you seen them eat brown algae?

SadieCM

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
You'll want at least 6 otos as they are a schooling fish. I think you could go up to 8 - they're small. I'm not sure about the brown algae, though.

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
BN's don't trash plants nor uproot plants.
Maybe males digging a cave.

I've 7 BN's (females). None of these issues.
Terabyte said:

OP
AustinS

AustinS

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
SadieCM said:
You'll want at least 6 otos as they are a schooling fish. I think you could go up to 8 - they're small. I'm not sure about the brown algae, though.
I was wanting to get as many as I could fit so they'd be happier in their group, I might have to wait a while for my plants to reproduce to help with the bioload.

DoubleDutch said:

What qualifies as a cave for BN plecos? There's a shady narrow area behind the driftwood but it's not exactly closed off, and I heard they need a cave to hide in.

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Mine don't have caves. They hide under wood and rocks
AustinS said:
I was wanting to get as many as I could fit so they'd be happier in their group, I might have to wait a while for my plants to reproduce to help with the bioload.

What qualifies as a cave for BN plecos? There's a shady narrow area behind the driftwood but it's not exactly closed off, and I heard they need a cave to hide in.

Terabyte

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
DoubleDutch said:

I think he is just too big for his own good . When he swims about at night and gets his wafers stuck under my sword plants I can hear him rustling up the gravel and floating them. Had to put my new Hygro in rockwool pots cause they couldn't stay down with him lol

New Threads