Oto Or Noto? Question

Discussion in 'Otocinclus' started by Zentuckyfriedchicken, Apr 18, 2018.

1. Zentuckyfriedchicken

Zentuckyfriedchicken Well Known Member Member

I have a 40 gallon tank with 2 angels, 8 neons, and 6 peppered Corys. I made the mistake of putting the tank in indirect sunlight and by the end of the week it is super green. Should I add an oto to this tank? Or would that push the stocking limit?

2. Lynn78too

Lynn78too Well Known Member Member

It certainly wouldn't make it over stocked. I don't think they will make that big of a difference though. What you need to do is move the tank. You will forever be fighting algae if it's in direct sunlight. Right now the algae might be due to being a new tank but if you're in the northern hemisphere, it's only going to get warmer and the days are only going to be longer and sunnier. If you want to put another algae eater in there, I'd consider a Siamese algae eater but first I'd try to figure out how and where to move the tank.

3. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_b Fishlore VIP Member

Not one, they are social fish. Go with 6 or more.

The limit depends on your filtration and maintenance.

They also need more than alage to eat. Fresh veggies and algae wafers.

4. OP
    OP
    Zentuckyfriedchicken

I will try to see if the tank can be moved... Aren’t Siamese Algae Eaters aggressive? I have a Topfin 60 power filter and do water changes every week around 25% I do have algae wafers,but as for them not being effective, why do people produce algae farms for otos then? If I got 6 otos there wouldn’t be turfwars with the Corys? (36x12 inches bottom panel)

5. Thunder_o_b

I am not a fan of SAE's at all.

Ottos and corys get along just fine. I have them both (5 diffrent types of corys) in all our aquariums.

Not sure I understand the wafer question.

6. OP
    OP
    Zentuckyfriedchicken

Lynn said that otos aren’t effective... As for you saying they need more then then algae, I have algae wafers with zucchini. How are you determining if the tank isn’t overstocked?

7. SFGiantsGuy

SFGiantsGuy Well Known Member Member

Yeah it seems that sometimes SAE's only eat sporadic algae about a non-consistent 50% of the time, even in a larger group of 'em. I always stick to Nerites, Malaysian Trumpet snails, Otos and Amanos. Most of those help a monumentally great deal. Especially Amanos.

8. Thunder_o_b

Ottos are some of the best. They do not eat all types though. Black beard, long hair algae. No algae eater eats green water. As I understand green water can be handled with a quality UV sterilizer of the proper size.

When it comes to stock limits there is more to it than just numbers. Where in the water column do they reside most of the time. The foot print, filtration, plants, maintenance and the personality of the fish are all considerations. In my 44 we have 6 ottos, 6 false julii corys, 1 large angel, 1 sword tail, 1 dwarf gourami, 2 ghost shrimp, two gold rams, a golden wonder killifish and 4 mystery snails. There is 700 GPH filtration, lots of plants and it is filled with treated RO/DI water from our 5 stage system. There are caves for the rams, tall open water for the angel, plants at the top for the killifish etc. Behind the wood to the right is a grove of red Myrio for the times a fish needs privacy.

An aquarium is a microcosm that needs to be designed with the needs of each of the residents fully in mind. Notice there are no fast moving school fish? The aquarium is the wrong shape for them. We have them in shorter, longer aquariums so they have length to swim in.

_MG_7934-Edit.0.jpg

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
  9. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

Maybe it is better to remove the cause of the algae than to think of a certain fish to solve the problem. Often people are disappointed though Otos are great.

10. OP
    OP
    Zentuckyfriedchicken

Looking at the surface area the Corys use less then half the foot print. The spend half the time swimming and half the time “passed out”. I could see ottos fitting. I will post a pic of the algae.

There. This tank is near the end of the week of maintainence (looking gross) on sundays I scrub it and then it collects back up. I’m not asking the ottos to do all the work. If they could keep the side panels cleaner then they are then, hurray!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
  11. Lynn78too

Lynn78too Well Known Member Member

Definitely get some plants in there. Pennywort and floating plants are good at cleaning up. Duckweed is something of a commitment, once it’s established it can be hard to get rid of.

12. Initiate

Initiate Well Known Member Member

Ottos are really sensitive fish when first added to your aquarium, it's not uncommon to lose half of the lot you buy.

13. OP
    OP
    Zentuckyfriedchicken

I just propagated a java fern, that’s why the one in the front is the smallest. More java ferns? Or you got any other low light suggestions? I will make sure to drip acclimate. You can’t see it in the picture, but I do have some wisteria in there. It is making a comeback from melting. My friend gave me a whole bunch of water lettuce in a plastic bag. His tank’s surface was covered. As for my sisters 3 gallon betta tank, not so much.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice