• yes, two

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • yes, three

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

tan.b

Well Known Member
Reaction score
ok, my sucking loach is so lazy, i have algae cos of the amount of sun in the room and the no matter how little i feed them they just dont seem to eat!  the loach doesnt seem to touch the algae, so give him half an algae wafer every few days which he hardly touches, which just fuels the excess food=algae prob. tank on restricted lighting too. what i need is an efficient clean up crew to help get the tank back in shape! now i love bristlenoses, but i dont think one would be happy in a 15gal (15 gal too small for a bn? - if anyone thinks a bn would be ok in there let me know), and i think a sucking loach would perhaps attach to it and harm it? what do you think? so i thought of otos as they seem a popular choice. now, decisions i'm no good at....so, if i get one will it be compatible with the sucking loach? do i get just one cos it seems from what i've read they like company, so how many do i get? i'm close to capacity and cant move any fish out of there really, but can do more/bigger water changes if required if i go slightly over the capacity to keep the levels in check and the fish happy.
opinions please......
tan

wolfman21

Valued Member
Reaction score
From what I've heard they're ok, but I would stick to the loach.

Luniyn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Mind you I've only been at this a couple of weeks, so take my opinion with a grain of salt. But considering your current load on your 15 Gal tank, it doesn't look like you can fit any more fish even if it is something as small as an oto. Also I understand they prefer some wood to gnaw on, do you have room for that in the 15 Gal? I know you said you didn't have room for fish moving, but if the 15 Gal is in a high sunlight area I would see about switching some fish around to make room for 2 or 3 oto's since they seem to like friends according to what I've been reading.

tan.b

Well Known Member
Reaction score
if absolutely necessary i can move the penguins out into the rasbora tank as thats nearly empty! my only reservations are that tetras are really hard to catch (mine are anyway, especially with the live plants in there, last time i had to pull all the plants out to catch them which doesnt help their roots getting established! also it'd mean nearly 50% of the tank would be algae eaters which seems odd! feeding enough flake for just 5 neons would be just a few grains, so i'm bound to over feed them, thus fuelling the algae....but with the algae eaters that wouldnt be a bad thing anymore! decisions decisions!!! so would oto's be ok with the sucking loach? i mean so far he keeps himself to himself and shown no aggression at all...i'd like to keep it that way!! i dont want my oto's to be attacked by the seemingly harmless loach. :-\
tan

SHPEPoser

Valued Member
Reaction score
Until it's nice and clean I would ass one of your bn cats and an oto. Have you thought of a cory or a dwarf pleco? That's what I would go with for that size tank.

tan.b

Well Known Member
Reaction score
SHPEPoser said:
Until it's nice and clean I would ass one of your bn cats and an oto. Have you thought of a cory or a dwarf pleco? That's what I would go with for that size tank.
one my bn's would gladly do the job (he'd think he was in heaven!!), but would my loach attack him? also, i've heard corys arent too good at eating algae and are better at scavenging scraps?

bbfeckawitts

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I honestly don't know what this is with people saying corydoras eat algae! ???

I have 3 and also PLENTY of algae. They eat leftover food, NOT algae!

Maybe if you starved them... ???

SHPEPoser

Valued Member
Reaction score
well I have a cory and a oto. that's why I say one of each. They do great work in my tank. The oto is great for getting the sides.

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I have two little otos. The tank was getting pretty green. After some research, and trying to find a tiger-banded peckoltia (nobody in the area carries them), I decided to go with the otos. Within a week, all of the algae was gone off the sides of the tank.
My cory has always done a good job of keeping large algal blooms from the bottom of the tank, and sometimes even crawls up plants, getting the larger chunks from there. It doesn't polish it all off, though. It just gets the bigger chunks.

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well, if you do decide to get Otos make sure to get at least 2, preferably more. They need company. I haven't looked at the tank contents though, and if it's already well stocked you may not want to get any, since Otos like good water quality. (not saying you have bad water quality, just the nitrates are likely to be higher in a well stocked tank.)

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom