Oto Not Doing Well

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Fahn, Apr 11, 2017.

1. Fahn

Fahn Fishlore VIP Member

I have an otocinclus that is lying on the bottom, swims a bit erratically, and is lethargic.

Temp is 78. Tank is cycled, I inject a lot of CO2, but oxygen isn't an issue as plants are pearling, and his belly is round so starvation isn't an issue either. Ammonia is 0, Nitrites are 0, Nitrates 30-40ppm (hard to read the exact shade on the API kit, lighting in my house isn't the best). Three other otos in the tank are doing fine, and parasites shouldn't be a culprit as I have been dosing Metroplex for over a week.

Whole tank was in rough shape yesterday after a nitrate spike, performed emergency 50% water change. I'm not EI dosing anymore, this is the second time I've had a nitrate issue, but luckily didn't lose anything this time.

I can't do a water change at the moment.

2. N8_the_Gr8

N8_the_Gr8 Valued Member Member

What type of substrate do you have. He might just be nibbling on the algae gathered on the gravel.

3. OP
    OP
    Fahn

Fahn Fishlore VIP Member

I use an aquarium soil. I was able to gently pick him up, he darted to the surface and swam slowly and erratically to the bottom again. His mouth was not against the substrate at all.

I'm wondering if my nitrates are too high... will do another water change tomorrow.

4. Tiny_Tanganyikans

Tiny_Tanganyikans Well Known Member Member

I'd imagine the nitrates especially if they were 60-80 before the change. They're quite sensitive to them. I'd move him into a control tank with clean water for a little while.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice