Question Oto Id Help Please?

Vigdis

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I've had three otos for a couple of months, and when they didn't adjust to the tank and start exploring I picked up three more, from the same shop. Right away the original trio became more active and playful, emerging from behind the filter to dart around the tank walls and shuffle around in the Java moss. There's been no aggression, and in fact they're all hanging out by the grass right now! But I'm pretty sure I have two different species in there.

Anyone have any clue what types I've got?

Giul

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
DoubleDutch keeps some nice Ottos, he may be able to tell you the exact name for them. My ottos look more like your first one but the second may just be a darker variety

elwe1996

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I had the same exact color difference when I had Oto's. As far as I could tell from planet cat fish one was Otocinclus Vestitus and the other Otocinclus Vittatus.

Tol

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Vestitus, Vittatus and Affinis are the most common ones, stores typically just label any of them "Otocinclus". Once in a blue moon I have seen Cocama (Tiger Otos) around but they are rare and generally like $18-20 each. PlanetCatfish is probably the best source to see pics of them all to compare.

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Vestitus, Vittatus and Affinis are the most common ones, stores typically just label any of them "Otocinclus". Once in a blue moon I have seen Cocama (Tiger Otos) around but they are rare and generally like $18-20 each. PlanetCatfish is probably the best source to see pics of them all to compare.
Agree.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom