oto for shirmp tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Invertebrates' started by limpet102511, Jan 8, 2013.

1. limpet102511Valued MemberMember

So i wanted to get an oto for my shrimp tank and was wondering if having one or to would put them in hiding.
    Also i no they don't eat shrimp but how about the baby's when they are first hatch and chilling on the glass?

2. AmazonPassionModeratorModerator Member

Otocinculus are great fish to keep in a Shrimp tank. They are complete herbivores.

The only problem I see with adding Otocinculus is that they prefer to be in large groups (6+) and I wouldn't add them in a newly set up tank not saying that yours is. If your tank is older than 6-10 months then I would add them.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
  3. limpet102511Valued MemberMember

thank you sir

4. bankruptjojoFishlore VIPMember

some say they can be kind of sensitive and not to keep them in small tanks. i had mine in a 8g shrimp tank with no problems. there in a 15g now i have 6 of them and my shrimp tank is doing really well, shrimp are breeding like crazy. i also have CPD's and pygmy corys. although the corys are new and they deff at least annoy the shrimp. here is a update video i made of all my tanks, the 15g is in there somewhere :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HkEKUhZX0o

5. MsNeoShrimpNew MemberMember

Although they shouldn't hurt your shrimps they aren't needed. Best to keep algae eating snails with shrimps .

6. MJDutiWell Known MemberMember

I have had my 10G setup for about a year now and I have a similar situation. Although otos should be in groups, and I would have it that way if I had them in a bigger tank, I have one in my 10G with my RCS. First off they will Not harm your shrimp, even babies, cause I don't think they physically can since they have no teeth, and also like AmazonPassion stated, they are herbivores. Mine is very plump and happy (does Not hide), but doesn't always like to share veggie wafers with the shrimp. As long as you have enough for it to eat it should be fine.

Also, like MsNeoShrimp said, if you don't want to go down that road you could always go the snail route. The best option I can think of for a small tank is a horned nerite snail. They are pretty, have spikes (so watch out), eat algae like crazy, stay reallllly small, won't reproduce, and you may get some shrimp hitchhikers on its shell.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice