oto cat

RBP-Discus

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
One of my Otto cat keep sucking the discus so I have to put the Otto in time out.
Question is why he sucking on my discus?
I know pleco like to suck the slime cost off fish but why the Otto?

Tigress Hill

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Is there sufficient algae on the surfaces of the tank? Do you feed the otto? He may be hungry

deon junior

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
i think tigress might be on to something, he might be hungry

RBP-Discus

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Don't think he hungry, I got 8 other otto in there as well.
Ton of green to go around.

Skysong87

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
This may be a stupid question ... But are you sure it is an otto cat? I have heard of some fish shops selling Chinese algae eaters CAE under the name of "otto cats". CAE are known to suck on other fish which can be deadly!

deon junior

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Skysong87 said:
This may be a stupid question ... But are you sure it is an otto cat? I have heard of some fish shops selling Chinese algae eaters CAE under the name of "otto cats". CAE are known to suck on other fish which can be deadly!
i think skysong might be right, i have had CAE and they killed one of my gouramis by doing this. why not upload a pic so we can see

173ABN

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I agree with skysong87. Your otto probably isn't otto

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
RBP-Discus said:
Don't think he hungry, I got 8 other otto in there as well.
Ton of green to go around.
What size tank is this? You have to have the right number of otos (if that IS what you have) for the size tank, otherwise they can literally starve to death.

amber0107

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Just clarifying, just because it's green doesn't mean they will eat it.
According to otocinclus.com:

"The main food of Otocinclus is algae. They will eat the soft green algae that grows on the surfaces of the tank and its contents. This surfaces include the inside of the tank walls, gravel, decorations, and plants. This soft algae isn't to be confused with green spot algae that you can barely get off with a razor blade. It's obvious that the rasping power of the otocinclus mouth isn't strong enough to remove that type of algae. "

Also:
"This might also explain why there are sparse reports of otocinclus attaching onto larger flat-bodied fishes (such as Discus). It's still debated whether this is an intentional aggressive behavior or just the fact that they may be starving. The "slime coat" of most fish contain micro-organisms which are indeed palatable to other fish and this might be drawing the oto to it."

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom