Oto care - first time Oto owner ~

BettaBuddy ~ Miley

Well Known Member
Reaction score
i am getting a larger tank(3 gallon) from a friend and i have Oscar as many of you know (betta) and i am addingt a oto with him. i know they need algea wafers but what else do i need to know about their care? Thnx a ton, Miley

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well they mostly move about at night so don't be too afraid that they do not move about much in the daytime. I know that you are going to hear that they need more than one but in this case and knowing the situation, I think that one will be fine. He probably won't be as happy as he would with two, but the experience I have had with having one is making me a little more likely to say that they will do okay with just the one. Tuck is actually the happiest little Oto I have and he never wants anything to do with any of the others. When you go to look for one try to find a healthy one with a little white tummy and he has to have a rounded little tummy like his tummy is full. Don't let them sell you a skinny one that looks like it hasn't eaten as that means it is not healthy. Red streaks on their tummy mean that they are infected so stay away from a tank that has Otos which have red streaks. Their colors should be definite and not muddy looking.

There is a website that tells a lot about them here:

www.otocinclus.com

I learned a lot from this gentleman about otos and it is kind of fun to read about such sweet little fish.

Rose

BettaBuddy ~ Miley

Well Known Member
Reaction score
i told my sister that when i get the tank i am going to put in oto in with Oscar and she yelled at me and was like hes a MALE betta!! he'll fight!! and i told her he wouldn't - will they get along so i have PROOF that shes wrong?????? Thnx, Miley

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have to disagree...I'm not sure I would put an Oto in a 3 gal, in the first place.  That's an awfully small tank, even for a Betta.  Otos are very sensitive to water quality and it takes a very experienced fishkeeper to keep perfect water quality in such a small tank.  And watching how Mist and Marble swim around together, I'm not sure how happy they would be on their own.  Rose's situation with an Oto on his own is a different situation than just going out and taking only one Oto away from all his friends at the store.  Also there's the fact that you're going to want to get your Betta into the bigger tank as soon as it's cycled...not sure you want to wait another 2-4 months to make sure the Oto you put in is not sick.  (I would not recommend putting anything in after the Betta since in that size of a tank there's not a lot of room for the fish to get away from the Betta if he's picking on them).

Well that's just my opinion...you should do whatever you think is best.

Oh, I see you have posted again Miley, I typed this before I saw you're second post. To answer your question...no there is no way to prove that a Betta will get along wiht anything. There are some that are perfectly peaceful while others are bullies. Otos seem to have the highest success rate with Bettas than anything else. But that is another concern of mine...if the Oto is being bullied, although I doubt that would happen, you don't have anywhere to move one of the fish as far as I know (or do you have a q tank? Sorry I can't remember)

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have otos in with all but one of my MALE bettas and they chased about the tank for the first little bit and then they now all get along fine. In fact Alexander sleeps with his Otos. I have a picture of a little Oto butt and a little Betta butt hanging out under the airstone taking a nap together.

Rose

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I believe she is cycling with Bio-spira so she will not have the wait to put the betta in and I am familiar with the tank she is going to use as we have spoken of it. It is actually 4 gallons and others here have kept a betta and snail (much bigger load) in that size tank and she is willing to do the work to keep it up so I support her decision which ever way she decides. I realize that the whole situation is not available to others here but Miley and I have spoken often about her plans and she understands the work involved and is willing to take the responsibility for her fish.

Rose

BettaBuddy ~ Miley

Well Known Member
Reaction score
ok - thanks!! you guys are all so nice for helping me but - how do you care for an oto? lol Miley.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Keep the tank clean and if there is no algae to eat, which there will not be for a while at least, you feed them. They do not need a lot of care.

Water changes and food are the big things and watch their fins for tears and holes as they do get finrot if they get sick. Mine have never had it but some here have had a lot of problems with their Otos getting fin rot. You will need to test the water often to make sure it is healthy for them.

They sometimes will eat vegetables if you give them a bit of cucumber or zucchini but at least in my experience, they let it get really nasty before they will eat it. I have put a green bean in one time and they ate on it but I eventually had to remove it because it was making a great big mess. They like to play with their food so I try to feed them at the back of the tank so they can make a mess and I do not have to worry about it until it is time to clean the gravel. They are most active at night so they may not even show up during the day if they are sleepy. They like to sleep on the back of a leaf or in a cave during the day and then when the lights go out they play.

Rose

BettaBuddy ~ Miley

Well Known Member
Reaction score
ok! they are so cute - i was at Walmart and some on!! it is the cutest!!!!!! Miley - so long story short they are easy to care for? thnx so much!!!!! Miley

nmwierman1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Yes they are very easy to care for. Don't be too surprised though if they go in hiding with Oscar during the day. I just moved Royell in his 5 gallon today with Ernie and he has been in hiding most of the day. They'll come out at night mostyly. Also, it might be a good idea to put the Otto's in first then Oscar that way he won't be so territorial. Natalie

BettaBuddy ~ Miley

Well Known Member
Reaction score
ok- also should i be worried - Oscar is completely OBSESSED with caves - hes always sleping in them and playing in them. should i be worried that something will happen between the oto and Oscar in the cave? Miley

nmwierman1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
No, don't be worried. Otto's are very fast swimmers and can get away very quickly if the feel threatened. I really don't think that Oscar will even bother them that much. Like I said before the otto's will be in hiding most of the day once Oscar is in there with them and you most likely won't see them out too much. They will come out at night when Oscar is most likely resting. Just put the otto's in first and leave them in there for 2 weeks before you put Oscar in there with them to make sure that the ott's are healthy. The first month is very crucial, so if you want you can even wait a month, but you don't have too. Just make sure that they are eating, so that they don't starve themselves. Natalie

BettaBuddy ~ Miley

Well Known Member
Reaction score
ok - sounds good!! Miley

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom