Oto breeding

1. Masinor Initiate Member

So I was casually watching my tank just checking all fish were doing well etc before feeding when I noticed these little egg looking things on some leaves. Thought I was going a little crazy as I wasnt aware I had anything that was likely to breed in there! So looked a little harder and 2 of my otos swam past chasing each other, after watching them for a couple of minute they got into a crazy kind of T shaped position. Now being that I am incredibly new to fish keeping I had no idea what they were doing so fired up google and it appears this is how they breed and its rather rare! Is this true?? I grabbed my phone and caught a video of it although its not the best! So please any advice on what I do now?!

[video=youtube;8y2Lo_4gLmE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8y2Lo_4gLmE&context=C4b2d57fADvjVQa1PpcFMnhsb39xmLWk0dPPIpm8rr q45mbZwso04=[/video]

2. amber0107 Well Known Member Member

What a neat video! What all is in your tank? I think I saw a dwarf gourami swim by. There's a chance some of the eggs will get eaten. My otos had babies not long ago, and 9 survived in a tank that only had mystery snails. In my new tank with a honey gourami, only two new babies made it. I didn't do anything special for them besides adding zucchini often and leaving the tank lights on longer to generate some more algae growth.

3. Masinor Initiate Member

hey yes there are Gouramis in there, and I have already seen the dwarf having a go at the eggs so I wont hold out much hope. Do you know how long it normally takes for the eggs to hatch? Just so I know when to look out for fry. I'll keep my fingers crossed that we are lucky!!

4. amber0107 Well Known Member Member

I'm not sure how long it takes for the eggs to hatch because I never saw the eggs. I just woke up one morning to tiny babies clinging to the glass. If you have lots of hiding spots, then a few might make it. Planet Catfish has a site where a man chronicles his work of breeding otos. Lots of good information on there. Good luck!

5. Masinor Initiate Member

Ah ok thank you for your help. I shall go and have a read of that site and keep my fingers crossed they have managed to hide some eggs away from the greedy Gourami!