Oto breeding

1. Masinor

Masinor Initiate Member

Ratings:
    +0
    So I was casually watching my tank just checking all fish were doing well etc before feeding when I noticed these little egg looking things on some leaves. Thought I was going a little crazy as I wasnt aware I had anything that was likely to breed in there! So looked a little harder and 2 of my otos swam past chasing each other, after watching them for a couple of minute they got into a crazy kind of T shaped position. Now being that I am incredibly new to fish keeping I had no idea what they were doing so fired up google and it appears this is how they breed and its rather rare! Is this true?? I grabbed my phone and caught a video of it although its not the best! So please any advice on what I do now?!

[video=youtube;8y2Lo_4gLmE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8y2Lo_4gLmE&context=C4b2d57fADvjVQa1PpcFMnhsb39xmLWk0dPPIpm8rr q45mbZwso04=[/video]

2. amber0107

amber0107 Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +11
    What a neat video! What all is in your tank? I think I saw a dwarf gourami swim by. There's a chance some of the eggs will get eaten. My otos had babies not long ago, and 9 survived in a tank that only had mystery snails. In my new tank with a honey gourami, only two new babies made it. I didn't do anything special for them besides adding zucchini often and leaving the tank lights on longer to generate some more algae growth.

3. OP
    OP
    Masinor

Masinor Initiate Member

Ratings:
    +0
    hey yes there are Gouramis in there, and I have already seen the dwarf having a go at the eggs so I wont hold out much hope. Do you know how long it normally takes for the eggs to hatch? Just so I know when to look out for fry. I'll keep my fingers crossed that we are lucky!!

4. amber0107

amber0107 Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +11
    I'm not sure how long it takes for the eggs to hatch because I never saw the eggs. I just woke up one morning to tiny babies clinging to the glass. If you have lots of hiding spots, then a few might make it. Planet Catfish has a site where a man chronicles his work of breeding otos. Lots of good information on there. Good luck!

5. OP
    OP
    Masinor

Masinor Initiate Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ah ok thank you for your help. I shall go and have a read of that site and keep my fingers crossed they have managed to hide some eggs away from the greedy Gourami!