Other shrimps that can be crossbred with cherry shrimps ?

Kevinthebreeder

What other shrimps can produce fertile hybrids with cherry shrimps ?

SotaAquatics

all neocaridinas can and will crossbreed with each other.

ProudPapa

To elaborate on what SotaAquatics posted, cherry shrimp is the common name for Neocaridina davidi. The other colors (blue, yellow, red rili, etc) are just color variations of the same species, so any of them will produce viable offspring with any other color, just like crossing different breeds of dogs will produce puppies that are just as fertile as either parent.

SotaAquatics

To elaborate on what SotaAquatics posted, cherry shrimp is the common name for Neocaridina davidi. The other colors (blue, yellow, red rili, etc) are just color variations of the same species, so any of them will produce viable offspring with any other color, just like crossing different breeds of dogs will produce puppies that are just as fertile as either parent.
Much more eloquent lol. I hadn't had my coffee yet with that first response.

wishuponafish

I'd also like to point out the distinction that Neocaridina is a genus, not a species. There are many different breeds within N. davidi but there are also other species of the genus such as snowball shrimp (N. zhangjiajiensis) which can hybridize with N. davidi, and I'm sure some others can and some cannot.

Being in the same genus doesn't necessarily mean they can hybridize either, for example Caridina cantonesis (crystal red shrimp) and Caridina multidentata (amano shrimp) cannot.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Demeter
  • Question
Replies
Views
eligri
Replies
Views
Pwilly07
Replies