Other Mid-Top Level Fish with Columbian Tetras?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Weird Wolf, Jul 9, 2015.

1. Weird Wolf

Weird Wolf New Member Member

Hello everyone,

I am wondering what would be some good ideas on what fish I should put in my aquarium with my Columbian Tetras. The tetras are quite fast moving most of the time so I'm wondering what fish would be fine with them? They will chase each other around occasionally but it does not last more than a second or two. The tank is a planted 40 gallon breeder. I thought about getting either a couple Bolivian Rams or Gold Rams, preferably a rather colorful fish or two if possible. Any ideas are welcome!

Thanks for your time,

Joe

2. Granamyr

Granamyr Valued Member Member

Well you were asking about mid-top level fish. All Rams will hang around the bottom mostly so if you're looking for other fish to be near the middle/top like your columbians those aren't going to do that.

About the only smaller type cichlid that I know of that will do that is an Acara. Flag acara's or red breasted acara's I believe would fit that for you.

If you're not really looking for mid-top level then there are a lot of options.

3. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

How about a school of giant danios?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

4. OP
    OP
    Weird Wolf

I'm aware they're bottom-mid level swimmers, I'm mostly looking for a fish that is a middle range swimmer but preferably more top level also, because my tetras are mid level for the most part and my catfish are bottom. I'm flexible though with that, I'm just trying to give a general idea what I'm looking for. It doesn't have to be a cichlid either! Thanks for the ideas though.

5. Granamyr

Granamyr Valued Member Member

Weird Wolf,

I don't know where you're at in Ohio, but if you're near Columbus you should check out Rivers to Reefs. That store has a lot of great stuff. It's in Gahanna and I don't think I'll get fish from anywhere else for a long time.

6. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

If you can find one (they're rare) Heros spilurus gets merely 4 inches....
    A more realistic option would be a blue gourami or a pearl gourami.

7. OP
    OP
    Weird Wolf

I'm a couple hours northeast of there but that looks like a really cool shop! I'll have to make a trip there sometime.

8. OP
    OP
    Weird Wolf

I like that idea Anders, do you think a T-Bar cichlid would work as well? I think they may be a little easier to find. Any ideas on where to get one though?

9. Anders247

If you mean Cryptoheros sajica, it should work size wise but I'm not sure if they would eat the tetras.

10. OP
    OP
    Weird Wolf

Yeah that's what I meant, I don't think it would be able to, the tetras are pretty big - I'd get it as a juvenile though incase so they had more time to grow.

11. Anders247

OK, sounds good. Those are cool fish, get a pic of it if/when you get it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice