Other foods for Plecos

PrayforMojo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
My pleco does not seemed too thrilled about the algea wafers he is healthy and growing so i dont think he is in any imminent danger. I read about cucs and zucs I have seen potatoes used are there any interesting food substitues the plecos would love as a treat? Please respond your feedback is very welcome and appreciated.

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Yep. Try different veggies. Mine love sweet potatoes.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Mine eat zuchinni, squash, and melons as well as algae wafers.
Carol

PrayforMojo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
cool, I will try those ideas. When you leave an algea wafer in the tank does it spore or cause an algea bloom. does it matter if the pellet does not get eaten right away it looks like it molds. The pleco is still healthy.

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
If it stays in there for more than 24 hours, just take it out. Those veggie wafers vary in taste and nutrition according to the brand. Try the Omega One brand if you can find it. They are much greener and probably more nutritious than the other ones. My fish go nuts over them. They are more expensive too.

PrayforMojo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
thank you i will look. The ones i got are not in the higher end price range how much did you pay for yours?

Sabi

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You should be able to get 'baby marrow' at any vegetable store.

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
mojoman101 said:
thank you i will look. The ones i got are not in the higher end price range how much did you pay for yours?
I think I paid about $9.00 for an 8.1 oz. of the veggie rounds the last time I bought a big can of them. They are not cheap but worth the extra cost.

http://www.omegasea.net/products2.html

jayfl234

Valued Member
Reaction score
Cool i did not know that i will have to try them.

PrayforMojo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yeah that may be the problem. Mine were about $4 for the same quantity. My pleco seems to have eaten a half of a wafer last night. His first ever. Maybe he has gotten all the algea. I have also seen a GREAT RECIPE IN DIY. check it out pleco lovers.
mojo

armadillo

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
mojoman101 said:
My pleco does not seemed too thrilled about the algea wafers he is healthy and growing so i dont think he is in any imminent danger. I read about cucs and zucs I have seen potatoes used are there any interesting food substitues the plecos would love as a treat? Please respond your feedback is very welcome and appreciated.
That's funny, mine love the stuff (algae wafers). As to cucumber, you'll need to have them sink by either boiling them (never tried) or weighing them down. A good way of weighing them down is to use fishing rod to tie it to one of your ornaments (stone, etc.) or to use the weights aquarium stores use to weigh aquatic plants' branches down. Works a treat!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom