Other Fish-keeping Forum

Mbross325

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Fishlore is a good fish-keeping forum, but I feel the saltwater side of the forum is kinda dead compared to the freshwater side. Is there other forums that you guys like to use, specifically for saltwater reefs. I’ve looked into reef central but I’ve heard the posts there aren’t taken seriously. Then there’s reef2reef, which I like but I don’t know if I want to create a new account there yet.

Again, what do you guys suggest for a saltwater reef forum? Sorry if this post isn’t appropriate or is in the wrong spot of the forum

FishLoverEmma0

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Mbross325 said:
Fishlore is a good fish-keeping forum, but I feel the saltwater side of the forum is kinda dead compared to the freshwater side. Is there other forums that you guys like to use, specifically for saltwater reefs. I’ve looked into reef central but I’ve heard the posts there aren’t taken seriously. Then there’s reef2reef, which I like but I don’t know if I want to create a new account there yet.

Again, what do you guys suggest for a saltwater reef forum? Sorry if this post isn’t appropriate or is in the wrong spot of the forum
I personally like this one, and i guess we just have to encourage more saltwater lovers on the site. I personally haven't had any good experiences with any other forums similar to FishLore, so i just only use this one, mostly because the people here are very nice and answer quickly. I think that the fact that there is a rumor going around for a long time that saltwater is harder to care for than freshwater, but if you set one up right, it's not too hard and isn't that expensive. People just don't know how to do it right and don't know how to ignore rumors and go with your own experience.

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I agree that the saltwater side is a little lacking in members but there are some very experienced salt water keepers here.

Mbross325

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
True, but I’ve never really been interested in freshwater tanks. Sure I had two freshwater tanks the past year or so but that doesn’t compare to saltwater tanks. I feel that another forum that’s specifically for saltwater reefs would better suit me. I’ve already done tons of research on keeping a saltwater tank, but I’m not ready to set one up just yet

Culprit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Mbross325 said:

Its been getting a lot more active recently. We have a good core here that work together and are very active.

I never really liked nano-reef or reef-central but I love r2r. Very knowledgeable, tons of people, and very freindly. Well modded too, and lots of giveaways too - I've won two!

Do go ahead and make a post here, and we can help you decide if you want to set up, what all you'll need, ect.

Really, the basis of Fishlore is to take people who do not know about fish-keeping, and get them to be knowledgeable fish-keepers who know how to take care of the fish. It does have secondary uses, like SW, reef tanks, and aquascaping, but that's not the main reason its here. Just like other forums have specific uses, R2R is only SW, Aquascaping World only aquascaping, it goes on and on. FL is great because it does have a bit of everything, even though it may not specialize in those things.

lol

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
It feels a little weird to be on here recommending other outside forums, but I have been on reef2reef many times to browse and ask questions, and for the most part it's a positive and inviting forum, from what I've seen, and there should be no problem with you asking as many questions as you need. There's a lot of knowledge to go around over there, so you'll probably learn a lot, and questions are answered quite quickly. In fact, I have noticed many times that if a user posts a thread asking a question, and the question remains unanswered, some of the frequenters will reply to the thread with a hashtag message. I'm assuming that users who are following that hashtag will be notified when it is posted on a thread, and those users will go to that thread to see if they can answer the question. I think that's pretty cool.

They also have an Emergency section of the forum, where you can post a thread about some sort of urgent matter in your tank that would require a quick answer, such as if a tank is crashing or a fish is dying or whatever. This ensures that threads about emergencies will not get hidden behind less-urgent threads, meaning urgent matters are addressed quickly.

Outside of simply spreading knowledge, R2R just feels like a great community. It's a very active forum with many different users from widely varying levels of saltwater experience (for example, there's a guy with a 40+ year old saltwater tank over there), and they're friendly and seem to genuinely enjoy helping others in their saltwater aquarium ventures. Even the website's design and format just seems... great, for lack of a better word! Even the colours - white and orange. It's just bright and happy, really. Highly recommended.

Mbross325

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
lol said:
It feels a little weird to be on here recommending other outside forums, but I have been on reef2reef many times to browse and ask questions, and for the most part it's a positive and inviting forum, from what I've seen, and there should be no problem with you asking as many questions as you need. There's a lot of knowledge to go around over there, so you'll probably learn a lot, and questions are answered quite quickly. In fact, I have noticed many times that if a user posts a thread asking a question, and the question remains unanswered, some of the frequenters will reply to the thread with a hashtag message. I'm assuming that users who are following that hashtag will be notified when it is posted on a thread, and those users will go to that thread to see if they can answer the question. I think that's pretty cool.

They also have an Emergency section of the forum, where you can post a thread about some sort of urgent matter in your tank that would require a quick answer, such as if a tank is crashing or a fish is dying or whatever. This ensures that threads about emergencies will not get hidden behind less-urgent threads, meaning urgent matters are addressed quickly.

Outside of simply spreading knowledge, R2R just feels like a great community. It's a very active forum with many different users from widely varying levels of saltwater experience (for example, there's a guy with a 40+ year old saltwater tank over there), and they're friendly and seem to genuinely enjoy helping others in their saltwater aquarium ventures. Even the website's design and format just seems... great, for lack of a better word! Even the colours - white and orange. It's just bright and happy, really. Highly recommended.
Thanks, this really helps. I am gonna start a new account with reef2reef, but I will still use this forum too. I’m gonna hold up on posting a new thread on my first saltwater tank as that tank is still being used by my younger brother and I’m expecting a major change later on this year

Culprit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Mbross325 said:
Thanks, this really helps. I am gonna start a new account with reef2reef, but I will still use this forum too. I’m gonna hold up on posting a new thread on my first saltwater tank as that tank is still being used by my younger brother and I’m expecting a major change later on this year
You can go ahead and work out details, even if you're not ready. I started my planning/build thread over 5 or 6 months before I actually set the tank up.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom