Other Fish Are Eating Up Algae Eaters Before My Oto Has A Chance

1. cosentik

cosentik Valued Member Member

I have this one platy in particular who searches out any algae wafer i drop in and just goes to town on it, to the point where he is bloated and I'm worried he's going to kill himself, even if I add the wafer during normal feeding time with their main food source. Is there a way to prevent this?

2. maggie thecat

maggie thecat Well Known Member Member

Many fish are omnivorous and enjoy plant matter in their diets. The solution is to feed enough plant based food so everyone gets their share.

3. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

Feed some real vegs.

4. OP
    OP
    cosentik

Ok I'll give the veggies a try. Any certain ones to try or avoid? I'm still new to all of this

5. Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

Blanch (flash boil) some Zucchini or Cucumber and stick a fork in there and let them eat that whole piece. It's basically a buffet for your fish and everybody gets to share.

6. Tim Dobson

Tim Dobson New Member Member

i sometimes feed my fish some cucumber also if we have a roast i chuck some broccoli in aswell but only little bits, they get fed better than me :wacky:

7. maggie thecat

maggie thecat Well Known Member Member

Depending on the fish, frozen and thawed squash, cucumbee, carrot, spinach, brussel sprout, peas, green beans, can all be fed. Freezing and thawing makes it easier to sink foods. They also make all plastic clips that can be used for seaweed sheets that you can hold food in place with. Or you can use bamboo skewers.

You can also purchase especially blended cubes in the frozen section of the lfs, or make your own from spirulina powder and baby food plus gelatin. (Look up snail-o for recipes.)

8. OP
    OP
    cosentik

thanks guys, this leads me to my next question: This platy has been eating so much when he gets a hold of an algae wafer that he literally blows up within minutes and I have to watch him closely. He has ended up just pooping A LOT and going back down to size, so if I leave veggies for them to snack on, how can I make sure he isn't going to kill himself from gluttony?

(I apologize if this thread has been taken off-topic now from catfish, just trying to make sure that oto gets to eat his wafers in peace)