Osmocote Root Tabs?

Discussion in 'Plant Fertilizers' started by bobbyta74, Aug 20, 2019.

1. bobbyta74

bobbyta74Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +29
    Experience:
    4 years
    Can anyone with experience tell me how they use osmocote root tabs (ie. capsule size, density etc.)?

2. Crispii

CrispiiWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,305
    Use size 00 gel capsules when putting your Osmocote pellets in.

3. OP
    OP
    bobbyta74

bobbyta74Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +29
    Experience:
    4 years
  4. Chanyi

ChanyiValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +118
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    You can just place them in the substrate individually, no gel cap needed. Takes just as much time as at would to fill them up.

5. FishRFriendz

FishRFriendzWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +488
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    The granules in gel caps end up having air gaps making them float. You can crush the granules to pack them more, but I fill the gaps with powdered red clay and a bit of dry micros, which gets them to sink.

Wet gel caps are slippery AF! The difficulty of putting them in discouraged me from using all the ones I made for a long long time. Till I made this:

IMG_4655.JPG

IMG_4657.JPG

IMG_4659.JPG

The easiest way to use osmocote is to put some down before adding substrate. But after that it gets to be a bit of a chore.

I've used the Flourish root tabs as well and those are little dense blocks (clay with nutrients baked in?), which ensures they don't float and are really easy to use. If you buy an off the shelf root tab, look for videos and photos of what they look like cuz some of these commercial products are little more than gel capped osmocote as well. I think they go with the opaque gel cap so you don't see that it's just osmocote inside lol.

Like these Easy Root Tabs

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019

Become a Fishlore Member