0.0%
  7. All three Oscars

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. None (please explain why not)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. hydreloy Initiate Member

So I went to the pet shop today a was looking at the fish and I thought that I should get an Oscar or two...but didn't decide...can you help me out

2. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

Oscars are great, but you really need to do a lot of research on oscars and any other fish you think you'd like to have in your tank. Oscars get very big, and probably need at least 55 gallons for 1, and 75 gallons for 2. That would be the bare minimum. A smaller size tank than a 55 would be cruel, and you would be doing a lot of water changes. They are very messy fish when they eat, and they poop a lot. They can grow to 16 inches long, and may not be able to turn around very easily in a 55 that is only 12 inches from front to back. I have had mine about 2 years in a 100 gal. tank, and they are about 10 inches long each at the moment. They are still growing! They also get grumpier as they get older, and 2 in a tank is gonna have fighting. I have one that usually starts the fights, but gets whooped every time, and sometimes will have a plug out of his mouth. If they got any worse, I would have to get rid of one. So do your research, and make sure you have everything they need to be happy and healthy. The myth that a fish will only grow to the size of the tank is a cruel lie, so don't believe it. They may stop growing on the outside because of a small tank, but their organs don't stop growing, and they will die a slow painful death. And also remember that an oscar can live 10 years, so make sure that cute little oscar you see at the fish store begging you to take him home is really what you want in your tank for 10 years. ;)