oscars

1. fish_r_friend Well Known Member Member

my mom wants to get some oscers eventually what are some good tank mates?and what size tank should they be put in (with the suggested tank mate)

2. EmpPleco Well Known Member Member

My father used to have an oscar in a 60 gal tank, and every fish that he tried to put in with him ended up being terrorized. The only tankmates my dad was able to have with his oscar was some small freshwater crabs.. Otherwise he was kept alone. :-\ ;)

3. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

4. Jon Well Known Member Member

if you have a large enough tank oscars get along with common plecos and jack dempseys i beleive... this sight also says silver dollars and bala sharks though i am yet to see a setup that incorporates this combination.

5. betta waita Initiate Member

i say a relly big size tank,lol i jus say one today at big als, ne ways ye maybe like a 60ish gallon tank, they get big, personaly it hink thier ugly grown up put babies are pretty cool

good luck

6. atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

you need a minimum of 55 gallons might get away with 50 and supposedly if you want to keep them in groups you need 6 or more and for 6 you need a little over a thousand gallons of water i believe so they all can have their own territory

7. goldenrod1967 Initiate Member

I got my first 2 tiger oscars a few years ago, not knowing how large they got...started them out as babies together in a 29 gal. tank, but after some research, moved them each to their own 55 gal. tank. I still have one of them, still in his own tank, right here by my puter, so he gets lots of attention!! :D My other 55 gal. tank (my other original oscar, Louise, died in Nov. :'() does have the setup that someone described of an oscar and a silver dollar...not sure how good of a match that is- the oscar picks on the silver dollar quite a bit. I may end up separating them ???

8. kerryve Member Member

my oscars share a tank with 1 pleco, a pangasius hifin shark, 4 silver dollars in a 300g tank.

9. Jimold Well Known Member Member

The only thing that held it's own with my oscar was a red belly parana about the same size... they got along great.

10. IheartmyOscars Initiate Member

my oscars completely ignore my pleco. the pleco does have a good 3 inches on the oscars, but still they act as though he wasn't even there.

11. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

Oscars are quite grumpy fish as they get older and really don't mind having their own tank. I have 2 of them in 100 gal. tank, and they fight a lot. A 55 is the bare minimum for 1 oscar. They are huge waste producers and also need the space. You will be doing at least 1 large water change weekly with just 1 oscar in a 55 gal. tank. ;)

12. Old Sloppy Member Member

55 gallon minimum. 70+ gallon recomended. this is per fish.

13. nicole Member Member

My oscar has 1 peacock, 2 firemouths and 3 red jewels in with him. I have tried keeping him on his own and he sulks he is much happier with his tank mates than without. I have both read and been told if you only have one oscar you can keep him with other aggressive cichlids, my cichlids give oscar a rather hard time most days.Although that could all change as he matures being only 8inches and I agree with everything Gunnie has posted.

14. Shrimpy Member Member

you could use tiger barbs, bala sharks, angel fish, and almost any big fish, oh and put them in at least a 55 gal tank