Oscars?

1. gussie Initiate Member

I have a 60x18x15 aquarium and i was wondering if i could keep an Oscar in there and if so what are posssible tankmates

2. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to FishLore! That tank, acording to a calculator that I just Googled, is 70 gallons. That could certainly house a single Oscar, with diligent water changes as it got older :)

3. gussie Initiate Member

but could i add any oter tankmate?

4. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

I don't think so, not any that are small enough to not interfere with the already limited space a 70 gallon would provide a large Oscar, with out being eaten. Oscars need to be housed with other large fish, as anything that it perceives as small enough will be attempted to be eaten. They're great fun, though! A lot of people refer to them as "puppies" :)

5. gussie Initiate Member

thanks for the info still not sure whether to go get a bunch of africans or a tiger oscar

6. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Sure thing :)

Hmm, that is a tough choice!

7. gussie Initiate Member

ikr

8. gussie Initiate Member

Ill probably go with a jd

9. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

I think you'd be okay to have a couple oscars in there while they are smaller as long as you plan to upgrade or rehome one when it gets bigger. I also think while its small other tank mates would be okay as long as they can't be eaten by the oscar. Just keep in mind when your oscar gets bigger they will be food if you don't rehome them. But I mean fish don't grow to full size overnight so having a single baby oscar in a 70 gallon seems a bit excessive personally.

You just maybe should look into finding someone who is wanting the other fish in like a year or so after.

10. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

Oscars grow fast though, in the first 12 months they get up there. a 4month old can be 5" already. Depending on what their fed though the grow an average of an inch a month. So if you only want tankmates for a few months(i would say once the oscars 7" its probably game over) i wouldn't bother with tankmates.

11. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

I disagree. Two oscars need a minimum of 125g. Personally, I advise against getting fish that will outgrow the current tank. Life happens and sometimes those tank upgrades aren't possible.

Your 70g tank is perfect for one oscar. You could also have a pair of firemouths with him. That would fully stock your tank, in my opinion.

Good luck! Oscars are fun!

12. convict15 Member Member

convicts or firemouths could be tankmates with an oscar