Oscars Started Fighting Out Of Nowhere? Question

Discussion in 'Oscars' started by Grady, Jun 24, 2019.

1. Grady

GradyNew MemberMember

So I’ve had these 2 oscars for a little over a year now, a few months ago one of them started to get bigger than the other. Yesterday, they just started lip locking and the big one chased the smaller one around for a good 5 mins. When A few scales flew off the smaller one and eventually the bigger one left him alone. They have never been aggressive towards each other before. Does anyone have any thoughts on this, they also seem to do this weird tail shaking thing and every now and then change colors for a quick second. Any advice is helpful thanks.

2. Crispii

CrispiiWell Known MemberMember

They're probably just showing who's boss. By the way, what size tank are they housed in?

3. Annie59

Annie59Well Known MemberMember

Going by another post you posted I would say it's because you have way to many fish in that 75 gal. That isn't helping the aggression in the tank. Just my opinion.

4. nikm128

nikm128Fishlore VIPMember

Oscars are very aggressive and territorial, sounds to me like they're fighting over the little amounts of space they have left to claim with all the other African cichlids in there too

5. david1978

david1978Fishlore LegendMember

Sadly I have seen this too many times. You will be left with a single oscar either way. That's if you either re home lots of fish or it kills them off.

6. Coptapia

CoptapiaWell Known MemberMember

Sounds like the bigger one is maturing (they do that), and is either trying to pair up with the other (probably won’t happen with such a size difference), or telling the other to get out of the tank. Either way you’ll probably need to separate them.

7. JDK426

JDK426Valued MemberMember

As stated its king of the tank. They are aggressive territorial fish. When you overcrowd them and push them ontop of one another this will happen. If this isn't the case it would be due to female issues as in any other fish.