Oscars Mix Stocking

Kimber12

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I'm looking to upgrade my tank to something BIG in the 200-250G range, possibly more if required.
I'm wanting to figure out what I want to go in my tank to prevent buying anything to small.

Non-Negotiables:
2 x Tiger Oscars
3 x Green Terrors
1 x Polleni

And then looking at:
2 x Severums
and/or
2-4 x Clown Loaches

I am not looking to breed and am hoping that I have no breeding pairs.

Opinions on my plans? Suggestion for tank size?
Welcome to any thoughts.

Littlebudda

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I know you said non negotiable but you are setting up for disaster.
I would avoid the green terrors with oscars they will beat him up. Oscars are not an overly aggressive fish they will eat anything that fits in their mouths but are not aggressive and are fairly lazy if catching the other fish takes a bit of effort they will give up and beg you for food as it is easier.

polleni is African so probably not great.

severums are a good match with oscars.

AcuarioAmazonico

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
it’s hard as each fish has their own personality. My Oscar is a Devil and beat up my green terror for ages. He’s an aggressive Oscar.

whilst I agree African cichlids shouldn’t be mixed with American cichlids - the polleni is the one exception and does well with oscars and terrors and severums.

CichlidJynx

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I would say everything but the terrors and Polleni, but maybe a zebra pike and some flag tail prochilodus? For tank size honestly the biggest you can get will help with stocking, territories, and chemistry

Littlebudda

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Every Oscar I have had have been real sooks and wouldn’t last 5 mins with a green terror

A201

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Rivulatus get a bad rap due to the Green Terror moniker. Given enough space an adult male Rivulatus probably could coexist semi peacefully with a male Oscar.
I agree that most aquarium raised Oscars are gentle giants, and I also believe that in most cases a full grown male GT would win a territorial battle between the two.
I've raised several male Rivulatus. The best one grew to 9.5" inches and lived several years with a similar sized Jack Dempsey. The JD was far more territorial & picked on the GT constantly
until the GT had taken enough.
The GT killed the JD before I had time to retrieve a net. Most important guideline, only one male GT per tank.
20181124_070905.jpg

Kimber12

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
The GTs and the Oscars have lived together since only a couple of inches, which I think will help.
The GTs are smaller than the Oscars and move out of their way.
I’ll make note to watch for that however.

I’m trying to get them into a big tank within the next couple of months to prevent any aggression from when they realise their sizes.

Littlebudda

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Maturity is when the trouble will start

JettsPapa

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Kimber12 said:
The GTs and the Oscars have lived together since only a couple of inches, which I think will help.
Good luck with that. I haven't kept them, but nothing I've read or learned about them leads me to believe that will matter.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads