oscars laid eggs

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ive been in such a dilema...I have my loving boys (or so ive called them) for almost 8 years...never been agressive towards ppl, totally hand fed, they even hop in your hands when you are cleaning the tank...well the last week or so, my tiger boy (or so I thought) has been attacking ...so unlike him as ive hand raised them...so I have been calling different science aquarium centers trying to find him a new home...my tank is overstocked and I felt him having a good home was more important than my love for this huge fish...it was definately going to be a sacrifice for me as again, ive had them so long!!!
ive been saving for a 200 gal tank for them but the space is an issue...so instead, they get daily water changes and boys lemme tell ya, ITS NO FUN!!

as you can see from this vid, I evidently have a m/f as the rock in the vid, is a dark brown rock with thousands of oscar eggs on it!!!!!

I have no clue what im doing now, and who knows if they will make it or not...but I cant separate them now...either both go or none...

off topic, we are having a party for adults for the first time in a longggg time...im actually having a big bonfire tonite! so anyone around, come on ovah!! I need to drown my sorrow in some cold ones I guess..somehow I gotta make a decision and im not really sure where to go now.....fish babies keep us on our toes as much as our human babies for sure~!~~~

platy ben

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Wow, well congrats with the eggs!

But thats a bit of a problem

I think you should keep them, as big as they are they are still your babies, and you oculd even be a grandma to the kids soon,

Why dont u get something smaller than a 200 Gal, maybe a 150Gal?

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
eggs were gone this morning...we had a severe thunderstorm last nite and the fish were all skittish so either they didnt know what they were doing, or they got scared to no ends and ate them..which is ok with me, but still in the dilema that they shouldnt be separeted now...keeping them is everyones dream but its not always right unless I can get their tank within a few weeks, im not sure where to go..I cant seperate them now that I know they are a m/f ..but thanks ben!

Wilhelm Joshua Tan

Valued Member
Reaction score
oscar kept

Oscars are very aggressive when they fight to other fish and since your aquarium is overpopulated, the eggs will have a 0-1% of survival.Best seperate the fishes.

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
ill not seperate a pair after 8 years ..its not the eggs im worried about as much as the need to keep them together now..whether it be me or some one else..but ty

Allie

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Wilhelm Joshua Tan said:
Oscars are very aggersive when they fight to other fish and since your aquarium is overpopulated, the eggs will have a 0-1% of survivalBest seperate the fishes.
Why would she have to separate them? They are a pair that have been together for 8 years. If she has had them for 8 years I think she knows what she is doing with them.

MissMTS

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Awwww Shawnie Your boys are so cute, and I know that you love them so much. I am so glad that you want the best for them, because it is so easy for us to be selfish when it comes to keeping our pets close to us. I am sure the daily water changes are no fun for you and are a huge hassle. I can't even bring myself to do that on my dicus tank, lol. If I remember correctly, you have 2 oscars and 2 JD's in a 55 right? If you can, why don't you just get a 75-90 gallon tank. This will give your JD's the room that they need in the 55 and you can give the bigger tank to the oscars. I know that this is easier said and done, but I hope that you can come to peace with whatever decision you make, and not beat yourself up too much! You are such a wonderful fish mommy, and I know you will do the right thing!

MissMTS

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Allie said:
Why would she have to separate them? They are a pair that have been together for 8 years. If she has had them for 8 years I think she knows what she is doing with them.
I agree. With oscars, if you have 2 males, you can have major agression problems and have to seperate them. Since Shawnie lucked out and ended up with a pair, she has no need to seperate them at this point.

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
no my tank is a 75 gallon....and thats the issue ...after 8 years and now I know they are a mating pair, I WONT seperate them...

ty all for your kind words...decisions for the best of the fish and not ourselves, is the hardest....

Martinismommy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Shawnie...Those fish are so awesome! I have to agree with you about the OMG...If it offends anyone then turn off the video (even though I didn't even notice it in the video) lol

04_si

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Shawnie - I hope your Oscars lay eggs again soon! maybe it took them 8 years to get comfortable with eachother!

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
LOL well maybe 04-si who knows...just not sure what id do with more oscars haha....anyhoo thanks for the comment

04_si

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
im sure you could take them to the LFS?

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
maybe..but not sure id want to take the chance that they wouldnt want them...lordy me I do every other day water changes as it is LOL ..those oscars are piglets...as of yet, they havent laid again so who knows ;D

bhone20

Reaction score
I Hope Everything Will Go Good For You Shawnie!! Best Of Luck And Hope They Get A Great Home If They Leave!!

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
ty very much bbone

Wilhelm Joshua Tan

Valued Member
Reaction score
eaten

Shawnie said:
eggs were gone this morning...we had a severe thunderstorm last nite and the fish were all skittish so either they didnt know what they were doing, or they got scared to no ends and ate them..which is ok with me, but still in the dilema that they shouldnt be separeted now...keeping them is everyones dream but its not always right unless I can get their tank within a few weeks, im not sure where to go..I cant seperate them now that I know they are a m/f ..but thanks ben!
Maybe one of them ate the eggs.

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
months ago

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom