Oscars...having bad dreams?

Staindsoul4Life

Reaction score
To my fellow aquarium hobbyists with fondness for Oscars!

I'm having a issue that I hope others have had and resolved. My Oscars are approximately 10" in length and I have two of them in a 90 gallon tank raised together since babies. Never gotten sick [knock on wood] and as healthy as they could be. Its lightly decorated with fake plants and a small rock cave for a pleco.
I just have one issue: At night when all the lights are out, I hear a very loud splashing sound and I know its them. Sometimes I even hear the lid of the tank being hit as well. This happens almost every night.

This morning I woke up and saw that one of the Oscars has a very bad abrasion around its head. I always feared for that simply because they are SO beautiful. Their coats are SO colorful and healthy...I didn't want them to look like the adult fish one would see in the pet shops that have horrible scars and have seen better days.

Now, I know what you're thinking...They might be fighting. Thats not the case simply because they have plenty of space, food and they don't display frequent aggressiveness toward each other during the day. What can it be? I don't want them to injure themselves like that. Scars are not attractive. Any one else ever had this problem and could give me suggestions?

IheartmyOscars

Reaction score
mine are small, about 4", but they also splash around and hit the tank hood at night. although i don't know why.. sorry i can't be more help.

jaymz

Reaction score
Same thing happened to my Oscar, at first i thought it was "hole in the head" syndrome, but apparently he had taken to ramming the lid and leaving scratches. they cleared up quickly and now you wouldn't know that he had scratches in the first place. If they last for more than a week I might be concerned.

BrianCB

Valued Member
Reaction score
I ve noticed that mime do the same thing at niight when I go to bed

Old Sloppy

Valued Member
Reaction score
[quote ]

I'm having a issue that I hope others have had and resolved.  My Oscars are approximately 10" in length and I have two of them in a 90 gallon tank raised together since babies.    Any one else ever had this problem and could give me suggestions? 

I have two Oscars and a Jack Dempsy in my 135 gallon tank.
They behave the same way, I had a 250 watt glass heater get cracked from their antics.
When mine are sleeping they float around with their noses down and tails up.
This is quite a sight to behold, they appear dead, but are in perfect health.

Harry S.

armadillo

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
I don't have any oscars but...

Could it be that they are fighting, but only at night, hence you wouldn't see it?

Could you build a contraption to put on your tank ceiling at night, so that they don't injure themselves? Actually, wouldn't even have to be a contraption, could be just a stretched piece of fabric.

Old Sloppy

Valued Member
Reaction score
armadillo said:
I don't have any oscars but...

Could it be that they are fighting, but only at night, hence you wouldn't see it?

Could you build a contraption to put on your tank ceiling at night, so that they don't injure themselves? Actually, wouldn't even have to be a contraption, could be just a stretched piece of fabric.
The real answer is...................a bigger tank. (maybe a swimming pool)
Harry S.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom