Oscars Fighting!

1. Guru Saran

Guru Saran New Member Member

Well I have two 4 inch Tiger Oscars......I already wrote a post about transporting them..Well now I have them in a 20 gallon tank.... They were ok for two days...They are eating well and always want to eat..for sometime one of the Oscar is chasing the other Oscar around the tank...I have seen comments about it's normal and it's just there behavior....but still I needed to know....is it me not feeding them properly or is this something else.....I think they both are male......the tank has a black substrate and it has no scaping in it.....only the fish....is there anything I should do...

2. OP
    OP
    Guru Saran

And Yes I know the tank should be around 75G I am getting a 125G in a few weeks soon I am gonna put them in there....so I wanted to put this up there :p

3. Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

It's the size of the tank and the two Oscars. Oscars will require a larger tank and need the length. The longer the tank the less aggressive they will be.

4. Adriifu

Adriifu Well Known Member Member

Agreed with above. Try adding some fake plants and decor to break the line of sight. It may help simmer down the aggression.

5. OP
    OP
    Guru Saran

So I have to move them into the 175 quickly as possible? Can I just partiton them for a week ?

Well should I partition them or put fake plants?

6. Adriifu

Partitioning them may work better, but only if you get the 125-gallon ASAP.

7. OP
    OP
    Guru Saran

It's gonna take a week or two....is that a problem....

8. Adriifu

It depends. By partitioning, do you mean adding a piece of glass in between the tanks to turn them into two ten-gallons? Or are you moving one of the oscars to a different 20-gallon? They're both pretty big already, so a 10-gallon is a bit too small. They may get stunted, stressed, or worse if you keep them there for too long.

9. OP
    OP
    Guru Saran

I thought of splitting them up in the same tank...but I think after you telling me this....I think I should buy another 20g for the time being....fish tanks are soooo costly in my place.....

10. Adriifu

Yeah, they can get pretty expensive. You can probably just buy a cheap 20-gallon bin for now and find some decent filtration.

11. OP
    OP
    Guru Saran

Yess I think that should doo for a week or two...they are barely 4 inches and already they started fighting for space....ohhh I should have sticked with bettas...but still I love them both :p...is there any way to sex the Oscars...I can't really tell from the male and female

12. Adriifu

"The only certain way to sex oscar fish is by looking at the breeding tubes. In the female, the tube (ovipositor) is short, stubby and flat at the tip as though sliced off, and about as long as it is wide. The male’s breeding tube is about a third the mass of the female’s tube, very thin, curved and comes to a point; its length is far greater than its width. The tubes are only apparent just before spawning."
    Source: https://www.petcha.com/oscar-fish-breeding/

13. Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

If you have access to getting a light defusser (The plastic light coverings) that might help separate things out until you get your 125. If you can't get that find something plastic, drill some holes around the areas so water can flow through it and that can act as a wall.

14. Mcasella

Mcasella Fishlore VIP Member

For one to two weeks splitting them into ten gallon of swimming space will not hurt them in the long run, make sure to keep up on water changes and to help with aggression keep the light on minimally (if they can't see they are less likely to attack).