Oscars are smarter than I thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sknr03

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have an Oscar that is about 3 inch's, just past the baby stage, and I am finding that he is quite smart for a fish. As I am told most Oscars are curious, he is, and like to check out what is outside his tank. Today he saw fire nad ran like never seen before. I than tried it again to make sure it wasn't a fluke and he ran again stirring up the bottom of the tank. How does a fish know to run from fire?

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Oscars are highly intelligent. Why were you starting fires indoors? Even striking a lighter near the tank isn't going to be good for the fish.

Treefork

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Oscars are pretty smart. I've seen Oscars that recognize their caretaker over other people who come to the tank. I had a friend when I approached the tank her oscar would hide from me behind his rock cave. When she came up to the tank he would come right out and beg for food. They can be taught tricks and things as well. Look on youtube there is a video of an oscar trained to push an underwater soccer ball into a goal. It's neat.

Jrobber

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
How does a fish know to run from fire?

Why do people run from fire? It was probably more of the flickering and bright light that scared your Oscar. However, I would advise against starting fire in your house. Why did you start a fire in your house in the first place?

jmgray

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Oscars are cool fish they are like having a dog, which is nice if you live in an apartment where fuzzies aren't allowed. If you have allegies and you want a pet oscars can be alot fun to watch and care for.

nerite0479

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Oscars are very intelligent and smart fish.I don't recommend starting a fire indoorsWhy did you do that anyway?

sknr03

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
To answer some question. I was lighting a smoke so he saw the lighter from a few feet and after seeing him react i tried again closer. In retrospect a bad idea but didnt think something underwater his hole life would know to run.

Last edited:

UNTAMEDlore

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi every one just to let you know If your talking Oscars im ya man to ask lol , any way the reason your Oscar reacted the way he did to your lighter is because oscars are afarid of bright coulors (its belived the reason is because in nature bright coulors represent danger) Also the sudden flash of light is like when someone walks up behind u a yells BOO! ur oscar will become very much like a dog sharing alot of the same traits such as loyalty (as mentioned by treefork) they can also be taught to do tricks and with a bit of patience you can even get to pat them although this is not recommended and if you wish to try be very very gental as if you damage the oscars slime coating he could become sick. Wise choice there with the oscar purchase you will be very happy. You will find if you spend alot of time with your oscar you will be rewarded with the bond u2 will share.:

BTW if you wish to test my theory on the bright colur thing try wearing a super bright yellow shirt and see how the oscar reacts

Last edited:

boybaeza76

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I have an Oscar that is about 3 inch's, just past the baby stage, and I am finding that he is quite smart for a fish. As I am told most Oscars are curious, he is, and like to check out what is outside his tank. Today he saw fire nad ran like never seen before. I than tried it again to make sure it wasn't a fluke and he ran again stirring up the bottom of the tank. How does a fish know to run from fire?
how does a fish run?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom