Oscar's And Flower Horns Eating Plants? Question 

Dave125g

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
As the title askes... I was wondering if flower horns or Oscar's eat plants?

I'm concentrating getting 1 of each to add to my 125. I'm gonna have to rehome a few fish first so I'm in no rush.

CaptainAquatics

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Dave125g said:
As the title askes... I was wondering if flower horns or Oscar's eat plants?

I'm concentrating getting 1 of each to add to my 125. I'm gonna have to rehome a few fish first so I'm in no rush.
Don’t do the flowerhorn, eventually it will likely kill your other fish. I had a 4” flowerhorn kill a 10” Oscar

Dave125g

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
CaptainAquatics said:
Don’t do the flowerhorn, eventually it will likely kill your other fish. I had a 4” flowerhorn kill a 10” Oscar
Thanks for the reply. Wow there that aggressive hua?

JessicaSwanlake

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Dave125g said:
Thanks for the reply. Wow there that aggressive hua?
Yeah, they are super agressive and Oscars are usually cowards when it comes to bully fish too. Mine nearly got killed by a Honduran red point 1/3 his size.

As far as plants go, my oscar will sometimes take a mouthful of a moss ball or eat a floating leaf but he doesn't eat the plants. What he will do (and what is pretty common for oscars in general) is dig up all my plants so they come out of the substrate. If you want plants I would recommend only ones that come in terra cott pots and/or ones that can be left free floating (anacharis, hornwort, subwassertang, cabomba, red root floaters, frogbit, moss balls, etc). I tried crypts and vals for a while, but both were uprooted in a matter of days and were uprooted again every time I tried to plant them.

Dave125g

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
JessicaSwanlake said:
Yeah, they are super agressive and Oscars are usually cowards when it comes to bully fish too. Mine nearly got killed by a Honduran red point 1/3 his size.

As far as plants go, my oscar will sometimes take a mouthful of a moss ball or eat a floating leaf but he doesn't eat the plants. What he will do (and what is pretty common for oscars in general) is dig up all my plants so they come out of the substrate. If you want plants I would recommend only ones that come in terra cott pots and/or ones that can be left free floating (anacharis, hornwort, subwassertang, cabomba, red root floaters, frogbit, moss balls, etc). I tried crypts and vals fr a wile, but both were uprooted in a matter of days and were uprooted again every time I tried to plant them.
Thanks. My tank is already pretty heavy planted. I know what your saying about Oscar's being wimps. I had a breeding pair of convicts with a oscar once and those two kept him in the corner of the tank even though they were less then half his size.
I may have to re think this move.

Here's a picture of the tank.
20190819_164508.jpg

JessicaSwanlake

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Nice tank! Love the plants!

I mean, it's quite possible if they are already there when an Oscar is moved in as a baby he wouldn't bother them as much. Mine did but he was already in the tank for 2-3 months before I tried any rooted plants. However, if a plant gets between the oscar and food the plant will definitely lose and they are pretty reckless swimmers and could easily tear them up those nice leaves.

Yeah, if you are attached to the plants and don't want to deal with a bunch being uprooted I would probably stay away from an Oscar. I'm no expert on SA cichlids but maybe someone can advise one that would be less likely to "redecorate".

Dave125g

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yeah my idea is to rehome the smaller fish. Mostly the 28 diamond tetras I have and get 2 larger cichlids (10-15 inches) to go with the blood parrot and acaras.

SixThreeOh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
They might not eat them, but they'll tear them up and destroy them.

A201

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Have you considered Festae (Red Terrors). I like them far better than FH'S or Oscars. They aren't wimps, but aren't psycho killers like FH's can be. Here's a pic of one of my females I once kept. I wish I had her back.
20190507_180151.jpg

Dawn Michele

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello Dave!!! Hope your doing well!!! I have never had live plant's with My Oscar Big Boy. He LOVES to rearrange his tank!!! NavyChief20 has an Oscar with live plant's. He put weight's on his plant's. IM not sure if he has eaten any??? You might want to talk to him about it!!!

Dave125g

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
A201 said:
Have you considered Festae (Red Terrors). I like them far better than FH'S or Oscars. They aren't wimps, but aren't psycho killers like FH's can be. Here's a pic of one of my females I once kept. I wish I had her back.
20190507_180151.jpg
Wow gorgeous fish. Thanks I'll look into them.
Dawn Michele said:
Hello Dave!!! Hope your doing well!!! I have never had live plant's with My Oscar Big Boy. He LOVES to rearrange his tank!!! NavyChief20 has an Oscar with live plant's. He put weight's on his plant's. IM not sure if he has eaten any??? You might want to talk to him about it!!!
Thanks. Yeah I think I'm gonna have to forget about getting an oscar or flowerhorn.

CaptainAquatics

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Dave125g said:
Thanks. My tank is already pretty heavy planted. I know what your saying about Oscar's being wimps. I had a breeding pair of convicts with a oscar once and those two kept him in the corner of the tank even though they were less then half his size.
I may have to re think this move.

Here's a picture of the tank.
20190819_164508.jpg
To be frank, when the BP gets bigger he will uproot the plants to. BP’s May have deformed mouths but they can dig. Just be careful, I know my BP has dug out gravel in my tank

Dave125g

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
CaptainAquatics said:
To be frank, when the BP gets bigger he will uproot the plants to. BP’s May have deformed mouths but they can dig. Just be careful, I know my BP has dug out gravel in my tank
Yes. He's almost 5 inches now. He does his share of digging. I named him doser. He's dug out both caves. He hasn't uprooted any plants yet however. The EBAs do. They pull on the leaves.

NavyChief20

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Todd doesnt eat plants. He is pretty much not amused with plants lol. He will look at them and lays on them but he only eats shrimp, tilapia, earthworms, crickets, minnows, bettas, green terror fry, convict fry, angel fry and he ate some salt n pepper corys intried with him.

CaptainAquatics

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
NavyChief20 said:
Todd doesnt eat plants. He is pretty much not amused with plants lol. He will look at them and lays on them but he only eats shrimp, tilapia, earthworms, crickets, minnows, bettas, green terror fry, convict fry, angel fry and he ate some salt n pepper corys intried with him.
The poor Betta fish! I never feed my Oscars live food. His main diet consists of carnivore pellets and shrimp (freeze dried jumbo).

Dave125g

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Feeding live foods are ok if you grow that food yourself. Buying feeders from the LFS is a receipe for disaster.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom