Oscar's And Flower Horns Eating Plants? Question

Discussion in 'American Cichlids' started by Dave125g, Aug 22, 2019.

1. Dave125g

Dave125gFishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +10,914
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    As the title askes... I was wondering if flower horns or Oscar's eat plants?

I'm concentrating getting 1 of each to add to my 125. I'm gonna have to rehome a few fish first so I'm in no rush.

2. CaptainAquatics

CaptainAquaticsWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +744
    Experience:
    3 years
    Don’t do the flowerhorn, eventually it will likely kill your other fish. I had a 4” flowerhorn kill a 10” Oscar

3. OP
    OP
    Dave125g

Ratings:
    +10,914
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Thanks for the reply. Wow there that aggressive hua?

4. JessicaSwanlake

JessicaSwanlakeValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +126
    Experience:
    2 years
    Yeah, they are super agressive and Oscars are usually cowards when it comes to bully fish too. Mine nearly got killed by a Honduran red point 1/3 his size.

As far as plants go, my oscar will sometimes take a mouthful of a moss ball or eat a floating leaf but he doesn't eat the plants. What he will do (and what is pretty common for oscars in general) is dig up all my plants so they come out of the substrate. If you want plants I would recommend only ones that come in terra cott pots and/or ones that can be left free floating (anacharis, hornwort, subwassertang, cabomba, red root floaters, frogbit, moss balls, etc). I tried crypts and vals for a while, but both were uprooted in a matter of days and were uprooted again every time I tried to plant them.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
  5. OP
    OP
    Dave125g

Ratings:
    +10,914
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Thanks. My tank is already pretty heavy planted. I know what your saying about Oscar's being wimps. I had a breeding pair of convicts with a oscar once and those two kept him in the corner of the tank even though they were less then half his size.
    I may have to re think this move.

Here's a picture of the tank. 20190819_164508.

6. JessicaSwanlake

JessicaSwanlakeValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +126
    Experience:
    2 years
    Nice tank! Love the plants!

I mean, it's quite possible if they are already there when an Oscar is moved in as a baby he wouldn't bother them as much. Mine did but he was already in the tank for 2-3 months before I tried any rooted plants. However, if a plant gets between the oscar and food the plant will definitely lose and they are pretty reckless swimmers and could easily tear them up those nice leaves.

Yeah, if you are attached to the plants and don't want to deal with a bunch being uprooted I would probably stay away from an Oscar. I'm no expert on SA cichlids but maybe someone can advise one that would be less likely to "redecorate".

7. OP
    OP
    Dave125g

Ratings:
    +10,914
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Yeah my idea is to rehome the smaller fish. Mostly the 28 diamond tetras I have and get 2 larger cichlids (10-15 inches) to go with the blood parrot and acaras.

8. SixThreeOh

SixThreeOhWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +324
    They might not eat them, but they'll tear them up and destroy them.

9. A201

A201Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,536
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Have you considered Festae (Red Terrors). I like them far better than FH'S or Oscars. They aren't wimps, but aren't psycho killers like FH's can be. Here's a pic of one of my females I once kept. I wish I had her back. 20190507_180151.

10. Dawn Michele

Dawn MicheleWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2,534
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Hello Dave!!! Hope your doing well!!! I have never had live plant's with My Oscar Big Boy. He LOVES to rearrange his tank!!! @NavyChief20 has an Oscar with live plant's. He put weight's on his plant's. IM not sure if he has eaten any??? You might want to talk to him about it!!!

11. OP
    OP
    Dave125g

Ratings:
    +10,914
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Wow gorgeous fish. Thanks I'll look into them.
    Thanks. Yeah I think I'm gonna have to forget about getting an oscar or flowerhorn.

12. CaptainAquatics

Ratings:
    +744
    Experience:
    3 years
    To be frank, when the BP gets bigger he will uproot the plants to. BP’s May have deformed mouths but they can dig. Just be careful, I know my BP has dug out gravel in my tank :)

13. OP
    OP
    Dave125g

Ratings:
    +10,914
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Yes. He's almost 5 inches now. He does his share of digging. I named him doser. He's dug out both caves. He hasn't uprooted any plants yet however. The EBAs do. They pull on the leaves.

14. NavyChief20

NavyChief20Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +956
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Todd doesnt eat plants. He is pretty much not amused with plants lol. He will look at them and lays on them but he only eats shrimp, tilapia, earthworms, crickets, minnows, bettas, green terror fry, convict fry, angel fry and he ate some salt n pepper corys intried with him.

15. CaptainAquatics

Ratings:
    +744
    Experience:
    3 years
    The poor Betta fish! I never feed my Oscars live food. His main diet consists of carnivore pellets and shrimp (freeze dried jumbo).

16. OP
    OP
    Dave125g

Ratings:
    +10,914
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Feeding live foods are ok if you grow that food yourself. Buying feeders from the LFS is a receipe for disaster.