Oscars And Filters

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by Bc62098, Aug 17, 2019.

1. Bc62098

Bc62098New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +6
    Hi all,
    I currently have 2 Oscars in a 55ga tank with 2 Aquen HOB filters. At first they seemed to work fine but now the water seems to always be cloudy. What kind of filter should I switch to? Any recommendations would be appreciated. Keep in mind they are constantly knocking the down spouts off lol.

2. Joshuaharestad

JoshuaharestadValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +85
    Experience:
    1 year
    You'll need a bigger tank. Oscar's are extremely messy eaters and they recommend 75 gallon minimum for 1. I'd invest in at least a 120 and some additional filters. I think your going to struggle as long as they are in a 55.

3. Cichlidude

CichlidudeWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,274
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    How are the filters causing cloudy water? What model Aqueons (gph)? What have you done recently to your tank?

4. OP
    OP
    Bc62098

Bc62098New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +6
    I'm probably not explaining it right. It just seems like the water is always cloudy lately even after water changes. I just figured it might have something to do with the filters. Never had this problem before. I'm using the Aquen 70. No changes to the tank other than the water changes.

5. Islandvic

IslandvicWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,615
    Experience:
    1 year
  6. OP
    OP
    Bc62098

Bc62098New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +6
    I have gravel. 6 inches.

7. A201

A201Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,538
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    If water coming out of your tap is cloudy there's a good chance there is an excess mineral build up in your water heater tank.

8. Dawn Michele

Dawn MicheleWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2,534
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Hello!!! Welcome to Fishlore!!! A 55 gallon is too small for 2 Oscars!!! You will NEVER be able to handle the bioload in that tank.They need BIG tank's and lots of clean water!!! I keep my Oscar Big Boy in a 125 by himself!!! He is over 12 inches.

9. Islandvic

Ratings:
    +1,615
    Experience:
    1 year
    What % off water do you remove during water changes, and how often do you perform them? Do you use a siphon vac to clean the gravel at every water change?

Although gravel looks great in a tank, with 2x 6" Oscars, you may have an accumulation of both uneaten food and fish waste deep in there.

If so, this would definitely contribute to not having crystal clear water, and not so much from lack of filtration. Oscar's are messy eaters and produce a ton of waste, but they are great fish to keep !

When we got out first tank, it had about 3 inches of gravel. It seemed like that dang gravel was a magnet for muck.

Even with bottom dwellers eating off it, every time i would do a water change and use a gravel siphon vac to clean the substrate, I would pull out tons of muck. The water was clear, but I was amazed how much junk I'd vac out the gravel every week.

All my tanks now use pool filter sand from Quikrete. Its $7 per 50lb at Home Depot. Uneaten food and fish waste doesn't sink into it. Makes it a lot easier for the filters to suck it up, or for me to remove it with the siphon vac.

Also, here is a LINK to a thread in the forum, regarding how to use DIY media in a filter and how to stop relying on disposable cartridges. For $10 or less, you can boost your filters' mechanical and biological filtration.

If you want to step up your filtration though, the canister style filter or a sump is the next step.

Hydor, Fluval, Eheim, Oase, Marineland, SunSun all make decent canister filters, it all really depends on your budget.

Finally, if you want to use a water clarifier product, about the best one is from Acurel. Their Acurel "F" (for freshwater tanks) and Acurel "E" (for ponds) are identical, except for packaging and the pond version is cheaper by volume.

I bought the Acurel "E" 250mL bottle from Kensfish.com for $9.59 LINK , the cheapest you will find online. 5mL treats 50 gallons, but I use that much in my 75g and it works just as well. I've always had "clear" looking water, but once a month I will use it and my tanks are "crystal clear" now. I get a lot of my fish hobby gear and all my fish food from Ken's.

A colleague of mine and another member on the forum also use Acurel "F" water clarifier and they like the results.

10. OP
    OP
    Bc62098

Bc62098New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +6
    Thank you all for your information and advice. I have a lot to think about and some changes to make.

11. Islandvic

Ratings:
    +1,615
    Experience:
    1 year
  12. Cichlidude

CichlidudeWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,274
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Cloudy Water: << Click here

The water in your tank might be cloudy due to dirt, sand, fish waste, particles, plant matter, and uneaten food floating around. Moreover, the particles might be way too small for your filter to catch. The stuff making your aquarium water cloudy can’t even be detected or stopped by the filter.

Try the information here first (Make sure you have fine filter floss in your filter):

Why Is My Fish Tank Cloudy & How To Fix It

Build a DIY Water Polisher here. I built this and it works great in large tanks:

Here is the pump mentioned in the video.

For smaller tanks, try this:

Diy Micro Gravel Vacuum/water Polisher

If all the above does not work… this will:

Acruel F

Start with 1 drop per gallon first, not the 2-4 drops recommended to start. Your water will get cloudy for about an hour or so and then start to clear. Make sure you have fine filter floss in your filter. If you need another/higher dose 24-48 hours later, fine. All Acruel F does is clump the free floating particles together so your filter can now pick this up. Guaranteed this works wonders.

Keep your tank crystal clear? Chemi Pure Blue

Green water? Get a UV Sterilizer with flow control (13 watt) and set it to the lowest flow rate so the water stays in contact with the light the longest. Will clear in about 7 days then remove it.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019